BD 2F Mitsubishi dozer (pictures)

/ BD 2F Mitsubishi dozer (pictures) #1  

duke7595

Gold Member
Tractor
820 ,1520,1020 (D) 1020 (G) 1050,4020 2240
dozer3 006.JPGdozer3 006.JPGdozer3 002.JPGdozer3 008.JPGdozer3 004.JPG

Here are some pictures of the BD 2F Mitsubishi dozer. Could you look at them and give an opinion before I buy ? it appears
like it has been sitting there for awhile.

Year -1986
Make -Mitsubishi
Model -BD2F
Serial -
Hours Showing -429 ??
Description -rops, 6 way blade, new rollers, rails, sprockets, direct drive, runs good, paint poor, hood available.
Price:$6500.00

/ BD 2F Mitsubishi dozer (pictures) #2  
I wouldn't even begin to consider a dozer that's obviously been sitting, what appears to be quite a while, UNLESS.... I was right there seeing the condition of the chain/rollers/pins and bushs... Also, I'd want to see if the clutches or brakes are stuck and hear it run, so that means it has to start and I have to be able to run it. (the clutches are a big deal)

You can go broke pretty fast fixing the things I mentioned above, and I'm not so sure parts will be easy to get for that dozer and surely they won't be cheap...

Are you sure it isn't a grey market tractor???

SR

/ BD 2F Mitsubishi dozer (pictures)
I wouldn't even begin to consider a dozer that's obviously been sitting, what appears to be quite a while, UNLESS.... I was right there seeing the condition of the chain/rollers/pins and bushs... Also, I'd want to see if the clutches or brakes are stuck and hear it run, so that means it has to start and I have to be able to run it. (the clutches are a big deal)

You can go broke pretty fast fixing the things I mentioned above, and I'm not so sure parts will be easy to get for that dozer and surely they won't be cheap...

Are you sure it isn't a grey market tractor???

SR

You make a very good point. I have decided to have a local heavy equipment mechanic inspect the machine, and go from there. However, I'm told it does run and function good.
We shall see. Thanks for your input.

/ BD 2F Mitsubishi dozer (pictures) #4  
Excellent choice having an experienced mechanic check it out.
That might be the wisest decision you will make and I always strongly urge a person to do so.

I do notice that the pads have been built up to compensate for wear.
Are the sprocket tips pointy? or square at tips? (pointy = well worn out)
Are the track chain links round or oval?

Cosmetics, while bad, is not the most important issue. Mechanics are.

BTW, I have been there and did hire a mechanic that saved me lots of $$ on a machine that I did purchase.
His expert opinion enabled satisfactory negotiations. In sum I paid the asking price but vendor absorbed about 20% of asking price in repairs.

Excellent choice having an experienced mechanic check it out.
That might be the wisest decision you will make and I always strongly urge a person to do so.

I do notice that the pads have been built up to compensate for wear.
Are the sprocket tips pointy? or square at tips? (pointy = well worn out)
Are the track chain links round or oval?

Cosmetics, while bad, is not the most important issue. Mechanics are.

BTW, I have been there and did hire a mechanic that saved me lots of $$ on a machine that I did purchase.
His expert opinion enabled satisfactory negotiations. In sum I paid the asking price but vendor absorbed about 20% of asking price in repairs.

Actually the undercarriage appears ok. At the bottom of the original post you will find a paper explaining what has been done, or is being done in regards to repairs.
Thank you very much for your input. P.S. A little paint can make a huge difference in the appearance.

/ BD 2F Mitsubishi dozer (pictures) #6  
429 hrs doesn't jive with "new rollers, rails, sprockets"

One, or the other, is off.

No way you'd need those parts on a machine with 429hrs.

429 hrs doesn't jive with "new rollers, rails, sprockets"

One, or the other, is off.

No way you'd need those parts on a machine with 429hrs.

The hours are not right, anyway had a mechanic check it out today. NO SALE

/ BD 2F Mitsubishi dozer (pictures) #8  
The hours are not right, anyway had a mechanic check it out today. NO SALE

Good for you taking someone with you!!

I thought from the picts you posted it didn't look like something I would want... And, I was hoping you would get someone who knew what to look for to go with you, as dozers are expensive to own IF you aren't careful!!

SR

Good for you taking someone with you!!

I thought from the picts you posted it didn't look like something I would want... And, I was hoping you would get someone who knew what to look for to go with you, as dozers are expensive to own IF you aren't careful!!

SR

Thank you for the advice, I was not with the mechanic because of the long distance location of the machine, however, for $75.00, which I thought was very reasonable
for an inspection he saved me maybe thousands.

/ BD 2F Mitsubishi dozer (pictures) #10  
He did post X429 hrs.
That could mean 3429 or 6429
With built up growsers I suspect 5-6000 hrs. that's OK but what about the sprockets? rollers? chain links?
Under carriage replacement can run $5,6000. K
Then hoses can kill you $100 a time with possibly 10-15 hoses.
How about steering clutches? then comes the main rocker shaft.
I gather he has done the wisest thing in hiring a dozer mechanic with HD equipment background.
Congrats on a wise decision!

I was in the aviation trade,
Appalled me to see guys buy a $40K plane because it had a nice paint job. (he really took care of it, LOL)
Often once in my hands I would find life threatening defects like serious corrosion that could fail a wing or a major mandatory directive that could have a propeller fail. On and on.