Satoh 370D from scrap yard

/ Satoh 370D from scrap yard #1  

joeblack5

Tractor
satoh 370d
Hello Folks,

Just bought a 370D from a local scrap yard as a project and want to try to get it operating again. It is the 2 cylinder with a KE 70 engine. No PTO reverser. It will need to run a mower at a two acre property.
It sat outside for 4 years. Missing the starter motor and all gear levers are stuck.

I have removed the transmission cover and found the transmission empty but no broken gears. Some of the light corrosion on some gears. The cover with gear selector has some corrosion. I have disassembled and cleaned it and got it sliding again. Probably would like to replace the conical spring and selector balls.

Then I removed the injectors and poured WD40 in the pre chambers. After a couple of days I was able to put a socket on the front pulley and got it loose.

I am now ready to buy a new starter motor but like to confirm that it needs 9 teeth?
Can anybody confirm that?

Thank you all for the information that got me to this point.

Regards J

/ Satoh 370D from scrap yard #2  
Welcome to TBN
Just hang in as there are a couple of members that specialize in Satoh and Mitsubishi parts that will respond.

/ Satoh 370D from scrap yard
Thank you Piloon,

It seems that parts are not to easy to get. The starter shows up for about $145. Just wanted to be sure that the advertised 9 teeth will actually fit.

I am also wondering if I should pull the head and see how the cylinder / valves and pistons look before I try to start it. I will have to look for a head gasket and price.

Thank you,
Later,
J

/ Satoh 370D from scrap yard #4  
Not an expert but do read a lot.
If you pull that head you may just discover that a head gasket might cost as much or more than that starter. (if you can find one) I'd be tempted to fire her up and decide later, besides a compression check would be the normal first step.

Did read somewhere that the 2 cyl gasket is rare or non existent.

That is what i am afraid of. I found one for $ 57 but that does not mean it is actually available. Put an e-mail in to smallimporttractor to see if they have it.
The motor is loose but still has two heavy spots. If I can pull the head for $57 then I will do that because it will give me a lot of information before I potentially damage the cylinder walls with a broken ring.

I have a glow plug compression adapter for my mercedes. See if it is the same thread.
The injectors looked very clean and I can find no wear on the gears. So may be it is low hours. Just wishful thinking here.

The transmission oil was gone and I noticed water and some oil leaking out of the 4x4 adapter box under the transmission. Did not see a crack but the oil must have disappeared somehow.

Later J

I bought a new head gasket from NCW (866) 582-1172 for $ 57 + shipping. They also had piston and rings normal and oversize available in stock. The other quote I received for a head gasket was $144. May be there is a quality difference. NCW had different style rings , something to remember. Check their website. So I will be pulling the head and check the valves and valve guides for wear.

Later J

/ Satoh 370D from scrap yard #7  
I bought one out of a field with a pretty big tree growing out of the cylinder. The owner took the head off for service and then never touched it again and lost the head. It came with the reverse rotation finish mower. I purchased a Ke70 (RUNNING) from someone on this form and it has been great for more than 10 years now. I was going to do a full restore a while ago, but that plan fell through. It's still a little ugly, but other than a hydraulic leak, a lower radiator hose and blowing out the freeze plug this winter ( my fault ) its been a great tractor for us. wish I had a loader for it. You'll be happy when you get her going.

Thank you for the encouragement. Will see if I have some time tomorrow to pull the head. I noticed that the repair manuals are very expensive. Is there anybody that wants to share?

Thank you,
later J

/ Satoh 370D from scrap yard #9  
I have a manual..... it was expensive... to be honest I was expecting a lot more than what is in it. Maybe it is fine for someone that has more general knowledge than I did. I had an odd hydraulic leak and the dang part that was causing the problem wasn't even in the manual. I still don't know what the thing is called, but I stopped it from leaking... lol. The good folks here are way better than the manual. The yahoo group is good also... I have not visited it in a while though.

Thank you for making me aware of a yahoo group. I will try to become a member there as well.

Later J