Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mits MT180

Default MT180. Hood should have screen on top side? Mine is a panel

Just got this machine with 888 hours on it.
    Heat lamp comes on after 15-20 minutes of grass cutting (60" belly deck).
    Tightened the belt as it was a bit loose....no fix.

I notice the big 20"x30" panel on the hood is a different color. Riveted on. Thinking maybe that is suppossed to be a screen/wire mesh? Let more heat out of the engine compartment? Maybe somebody previously fabricated this solid panel for whatever reason?

The heat light never came on after 30 minutes of pulling a drag around our MX track....so maybe the deck is not spinning freely, although cuts grass nice.

Was thinking of pulling the thermostat out and seeing how it runs.

But what about the top surface orf your MT180 type machine, is that a screen or solid panel?

Thanks
    Coo

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA

Check to see how clogged the radiator is with seeds grass weeds and stuff....mine will get warm if the seed duff gets thick.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mits MT180

Default Re: MT180. Hood should have screen on top side? Mine is a panel

Yes, that is the first thing I did. Air hose then garden hose through the radiator.
    Checked the radiator cap is OK and holding pressure. It seems to be as once when it over heated it pissed out a bit of coolant...so is under pressure.
    Tightened belt, all no luck yet.

Should buy a new radiator cap to be sure...it is cheap.
    Will try to run it with out thermostat,.
    Might have to take radiator out and pressure clean it,.

Just wondering if the top deck of the hood should be screen. The solid panel looks after market...riveted in place.
    But its not like it is a sealed engine compartment like on a car. The sides are pretty much open. Not knowing how much heat the panel verus screen would actually be holding in.

It takes a good 15-20-30 minutes of mowing grass (yard grass....nothing heavy) before the engine heat light comes on. Dissengage the PTO and throttle down and drive back to garage and sometimes the heat light goes out in that time. So just barley "too hot".... not like boiling over as if the coolant pump was not working.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA

I'd wager you wouldn't see much change removing the panel but seems like something to try. I agree you may have to remove the radiator to really get it clean.
    Sounds like you are checking all the right stuff.

Tractor
    MT180D

I have all factory manuals for MT180D.
    There is a removable screen ahead of the radiator but can't see what you describe.

"So just barley "too hot".... not like boiling over as if the coolant pump was not working. "
    At the relatively low cast of a thermostat, why not simply change it?
    Also blow the rad fins clear (from backside).

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mits MT180

Yes, I will indeed invest in a new thermostat. Where is a good place to buy proper OEM parts like this thermostat? I also need to buy the two new headlight bulbs for it. My local auto parts store does not have bulbs that will work.

I'd like to bookmark a site for Mits MT180 part purchases. Thinking should change the hydraulic oil too as a matter of maitnence. Piloon, you have the manuals and must have the machines, where do you buy parts?

(BTW: the panel versus screen I am asking about it the top side of the hood. The actual horizontal flat panel of the hood. I do have a screen in front of the radiator. My question is more of the actual tilting hood top surface--> Solid sheetmetal panel or screen?)

Thanks all
    CooHead

Tractor
    MT180D

Quote Originally Posted by CooHead View Post
    Yes, I will indeed invest in a new thermostat. Where is a good place to buy proper OEM parts like this thermostat? I also need to buy the two new headlight bulbs for it. My local auto parts store does not have bulbs that will work.

I'd like to bookmark a site for Mits MT180 part purchases. Thinking should change the hydraulic oil too as a matter of maitnence. Piloon, you have the manuals and must have the machines, where do you buy parts?

(BTW: the panel versus screen I am asking about it the top side of the hood. The actual horizontal flat panel of the hood. I do have a screen in front of the radiator. My question is more of the actual tilting hood top surface--> Solid sheetmetal panel or screen?)

Thanks all
    CooHead
    Parts I admit are hard to locate new, and used are pricy but out there.
    Fortunately the MTs are tough rugged machines and if maintained and not abused will give very long service.
    Yes I own a MT180D.
    Protect your tires as absolutely none of the 18" turfs exist anymore.

Tractor
    Massey GC1720 & Mitsu MT180D

I have a MT180D - the forward hinging hood is solid panel, the only openings are the front above the headlights and the bottom sides of the engine cover/shroud (near the oil dipstick and opposite side too).

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mits MT180

Thanks ColdSteel.

Sounds like mine. Top surface of hood is a solid panel.

Will have to take the thermostat out and try it as overheat the other night after 15 minutes of cutting grass.
    Nothing terrible, just pissed out a couple ounces of coolant when I shut it off.

Try it with out thermostat in there, if that doesn't help will take radiator out and have it professionally cleaned....outside fins and inside core.