satoh s370 beaver

/ satoh s370 beaver #1  

jerryjg

Tractor
Satoh Beaver S-370
I have a s370 beaver satoh it has ran well for the 4 weeks I have had it last I put it up was running with no problems. I had changed oil ,trans fluid new fuel filter now when I start it at low rpm it runs rough but will idle when I give more fuel it smokes black smoke and very noisy. I checked the fuel line to the tank from the fuel injectors no flow some fuel not enough to wet anything removed the return lines it runs with no fuel coming from injectors. I am drain the tank and replacing the fuel tomorrow. if it is the pump are there any out there? any help would appreciated.

/ satoh s370 beaver #2  
If you unhook the fuel line at the pump, the one that runs from the filter, and there is no or very little flow then something is wrong between the tank and the pump. When you replaced the fuel filter did you bleed the filter housing with the two Phillips head screws above the fuel bowl? Then the fitting at the pump?

/ satoh s370 beaver
I installed new fuel line and filter today and replaced the fuel. the bleeder valve has a small flow close to a match stem in size with the bled screw removed. it runs ok at low rpm but add more fuel starts to smoke it has no power will bearly raise lift.. I removed the injectors turned engine over both have a good spray pattern. the return fuel line I replaced with clear tube it will take about about 5 minutes running at medium idle for the tube to fill with fuel to the tank. thank you for your reply

/ satoh s370 beaver #4  
Have you checked the air filter? Try to run it without it and see if the black smoke disappears. It might be as simple as that. I have a KE70 with similar symptoms (noisy - compared to others, some black smoke at idle, seems slightly underpowered) that I never did quite figure out what the problem is. Had the injector pump rebuilt and injector tips changed, valve job, new rings, fuel filter, hoses, etc. etc. Compression is decent. Nothing seems to help. Almost like a timing problem with the camshaft but I did check the marks on the gears and they line up. It ran that way since I acquired it. Fuel timing was reset to factory. It runs, actually pretty good at high rpm (>2000) but doesn't quite seem like it should be. I'll live with it the way it is for now as it is a parts tractor but I still do some work with it once in a while. I'd like to figure out what's making it so noisy and the black smoke.

/ satoh s370 beaver
checked the compression 1 500 psi 2 450 psi checked valve 2 was tight set to 13 t tractor running much better but had to stop belt squeeling water pump had frozen up will have to fix that before I can continue with the motor. removed water pump froze will not turn removed alt and starter will have them rebuilt or replaced while I have the radiator front end covers off. I may decide to rebuild the engine since I am this far into it. any info on rebuild parts, or better a new engine? thanks

/ satoh s370 beaver #6  
These guys are pretty good - NCW Tractor Parts & Tractor Supply Store - Compact Tractor Parts. Your compression values are fine and don't justify any work. The only real options that I'm aware of for engines are the KE70 which is what you have and the KE75. There are larger KE engines but I doubt the transmission housing bolt patterns would be the same. I believe the K3 series engines (3-cylinder) have a different bolt pattern also, but I never actually verified this. Even if they didn't they are longer and would create radiator clearance issues. The KE70 and 75s are fine though when they are running correctly. They seem a little sluggish on the low end compared to the equivalent power rating K3s but still do the job. Unless you're looking to race your tractor or participate in miniature tractor pulls I'd stick with the KE70.

/ satoh s370 beaver
I think for now I will find or have water pump alt and started repaired. the belt is in terrible shape, maybe pressure wash years of grime off and then I can adjust the valves and get back to the engine. is the KE70 a direct replacement for a satoh s370 beaver.is it available now if so where? thanks

/ satoh s370 beaver #8  
None of the K series engines Mitsubishi made are available from a retail standpoint anymore. Used ones are available of course. The best place to get one is a used Satoh Beaver (2-cylinder version) or Iseki TX1300 and 1500 series tractors, probably others but I don't have an exhaustive listing. They seem to be becoming harder to locate though depending on what you are willing to pay. Used tractor dealers are the quickest path to a spare but you'll pay accordingly.

I came across a used Satoh S370 or 372, I can't remember now, on Craig's and I think it had a PTO reverser and it was 4wd for $400. I didn't pursue it since I already have too many tractors and projects and was moving at the time but I'm kicking myself now for not at least taking a look at it. It looked complete and in relatively good shape from the pictures. Seems like you see those deals about every 1-2 years out there.

/ satoh s370 beaver
have a local company to rebuild starter and alt. looking for other misc parts. removed all the breather pipe and stuff so I could pressure wash motor and front end. TO MY SUPRISE I FOUND A BLUE SHOP RAG IN breather pipe. I suspect this was my problem. parts are 2 to 3 weeks out so for now will clean up some. thanks

/ satoh s370 beaver #10  
While you are at it, have the radiator done at a radiator shop. Don't let them paint the radiator.