MT372D Starts easy then dies

/ MT372D Starts easy then dies #1  

BryanInTX

Tractor
Mitsubishi MT372D
Howdy ya'll, I'm hoping one of you can give me a little help with my tractor. It fires right up and then dies pretty quick.

A few weeks back I started it up to pull the bush hog around and when engaging the PTO it got real weak and I'd have to fiddle with the clutch to keep it running. Once it was up to speed it was OK but when hitting thick brush it would again act week and start to die. I was able to get my work done by keeping the throttle way up and taking half width cuts. When I was just about done I was rounding a corner and the throttle gradually went down until the engine cut off. I was thinking maybe it overheated so I let it sit for awhile and tried to start it again. It would fire up easily but die right away. Seemed to die faster if I pulled the throttle up. If I left the throttle low it would sit for 20 seconds or so before dying. I pulled it back to its parking spot with my smaller garden tractor and left it there until today. I walked out this morning and again it fired right up and idled until I pulled the throttle up then died. I went to tractor supply and every auto parts store in the area to find a new fuel filter and of course nobody has one. I cleaned out the bowl and left a fuel filter off just to see if that's the issue (it didn't look very dirty anyway). Same deal, fires up and dies. Before I start ripping this thing apart, any things I should take a look at?

When I bought it they told me they put new rings on and that first year man this thing was strong... I was driving over and shredding small trees and stuff. I've only put about 12 hours or so since I've had it.

Thanks

/ MT372D Starts easy then dies #2  
Welcome to TBN................
Check the simple things first.
Sounds like either its starving for fuel or the air filter could be plugged. Since you took the filter out of the fuel bowl, start it up again and have someone rev up the throttle while you watch the fuel bowl to see if it gets low on fuel. If it does you may have a blockage in the tank or line to the bowl. If that seems to be the problem you can try removing the line from the tank to the bowl and blow some air through it. There could also be a strainer screen in the bottom of the tank. Then check the air filter. 12 hours use isn't much but when was the last time it was changed.

/ MT372D Starts easy then dies
Hey thanks for your help! Texas weather cooperated with me enough yesterday afternoon such that I could get out and work on this thing. First thing I did was rip off all of the air intake and hose and make sure there was nothing in there. It was clear. Then I pulled off the whole fuel line assembly from the filter forward and pulled out the injectors. I blasted air through everything and made sure it was cleaned out. Put it all back and made sure it was tight. She took a bit for the fuel to get in there and fire up. When it did it kind of loped and didn't sound like it was going to stay running. It did though so I let it idle for awhile. Pulling the throttle up had a slow increase in rpm. That was weird. Splashed some hot shot diesel booster in the tank and let it idle for a bit longer. Braved a ride around the yard and it did fine. Once it was warm I decided to give the shredder a try. Man it worked great. Didn't bog at all. It has a much or more power than it did when I got it. Throttle ramps up almost instantly too.

So thanks for the hints!

Now I have an oil leak and a flat tire from a mesquite thorn but at least she runs well! Haha

/ MT372D Starts easy then dies #4  
Of course for the oil leak you'll have to find where or what is leaking. For flats from a thorn or a nail I use a manually operated plug gun. If you can't plug the tire will have to be taken off the rim and patched on the inside or tubed but most times a plug will work.