Bison 650G steering box

/ Bison 650G steering box #1  

R Barger

Silver Member
Tractor
YANMAR YM336D/W Loader JOHN DEERE 850/ W Loader 2WD&4WD Kubota RTV 900
I have a 650g that has some water in the steering box and when it freezes you can't turn the wheel. I'm trying to figure out a way to drain the box and put new gear oil in without removing the steering box. (Anybody have any ideas:confused:)

/ Bison 650G steering box #2  
Only way I see to drain it w/o taking the box off is by taking the steering shaft or sector out. You could then suck it out and dry with a shop towel. I don't have a Satoh but the 650G's box diagram at Valley Power looks much like my Mitsubishi's. I've had it completely apart w/o removing the box.

/ Bison 650G steering box
Only way I see to drain it w/o taking the box off is by taking the steering shaft or sector out. You could then suck it out and dry with a shop towel. I don't have a Satoh but the 650G's box diagram at Valley Power looks much like my Mitsubishi's. I've had it completely apart w/o removing the box.

The box is the early style so I think I would rather take the gas tank off and remove the top cover. Then maybe I can take a suction pump and remove the oil/water that way. The steering is power steering and is in very good working order so I don't want to mess with it any more than I have to. Thanks for your response.

/ Bison 650G steering box
The job turned out to be very simple. Remove tank,top plate on the steering box,use (suction pump,bow gun,rags). To my surprise there was only about a table spoon of water in the bearing at the lowest point in the box. When it would freeze the bearing would not turn.