Satoh Beaver tiller

/ Satoh Beaver tiller #1  

z28clone

Tractor
370D
I have a problem that most Satoh owners wish they had. I have an S-370D Beaver with front end loader and backhoe. I just bought an S-373 Beaver with a tiller. Tiller is a 1110S model but what I didn't check before purchase was the PTO rotation. My S-370D PTO turns CCW, this newer Beaver turns CW. My plan was a use the tiller on my S-370D and sell the S-373. The S-373 is in alot better shape than my S-370D. Can I move my backhoe and loader to it? Problem still is the backhoe uses a PTO pump, which needs to turn CCW. I only want to keep one tractor. Any ideas appreciated.

/ Satoh Beaver tiller
IMAG0265.jpgIMAG0266.jpg
one pic is pto from the S-373 and the other is from my S-370D with the coupler on it for the Backhoe pump. Do I have a PTO reverser on the S-373? Is it easy to remove and put on every time I want to use the tiller?

/ Satoh Beaver tiller #3  
373 doesn't appear to use a reverser. Is your backhoe a Blackhawk? I'd think it easier to adapt the loader and hoe to the 373 than it will be to find a reverser for your 370 though I do recall seeing on one eBay recently.

/ Satoh Beaver tiller
Yes, backhoe is Blackhawk. How will using the loader if moved to the 373 effect not having 4WD?

Last edited:
   / Satoh Beaver tiller #6  
373 isn't 4wd?

I didn't catch that. You can use a 2wd tractor with a loader but having rear weight is critical. Were I in your shoes, I'd sell the 373 and use the proceeds to buy that PTO reverser I linked to on ebay. You'll have a lot less work to deal with. Personally, i won't have a tractor without 4wd. Too many times it's been the difference between getting out of where I am or needing a pull.

/ Satoh Beaver tiller #7  
You can get an excellent idea of what it the 373 will do with the loader and backhoe by merely running your 370 in 2wd. Try it out that way, and see how it works for you. For my purposes the small (Say, under 1500lbs bare) tractors need 4wd when equipped with a loader to be able to function properly in my conditions and usage. You may be able to do just fine with 2wd; I cannot.

You are able to just get a different hydraulic pump that matches your PTO rotation so that your backhoe would work.

The close-coupled tiller drive won't work with the reverser as-is; substantial (and depending on your abilities and tools, expensive) modifications will be required to space back the tiller mount and lift arrangement. This does not mean it would be impossible, but it wouldn't be a slip-on addition.

/ Satoh Beaver tiller
After staring at the tiller with a beer in hand. I came up with a possible answer. Since the tines are removable, all I need to do is remove them and turn them the opposite direction. Also the PTO shaft on the 373 is 6 spline, so I will need the adapter to fit on my 370. What you do guys think of this idea?

Last edited:
   / Satoh Beaver tiller #9  
You'll be happier if it's turning properly. If you revers their direction you'll be moving the tilled ground where you don't want it.

Buy the reverser, sell 373 and done.

/ Satoh Beaver tiller #10  
I believe there is a tensioner on the drive chain of the tiller that would be damaged if you ran it in a reversed direction.

The adapter is available for the PTO output.