Does the MT180 have a thermostat?

/ Does the MT180 have a thermostat? #1  

CooHead

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mits MT180
I'm guessing it would. Most internal combustion machines do.

My HEAT lap comes on after some 10-12-15-20 minutes. I throttle back and by the time I get to the garage the lamp has gone off. Sometimes it spits a bit of coolant out.

So, thought maybe thermostat is rusty, stuck, bent, not working properly. Took off upper house where there seems to be a place for thermostat and there is not one there. Upon further investigation it doesn't look like one is supposed to be in there....like no mounting surface. Put the hose back on, tightened the belt, air and water blasted the radiator. Just now the HEAT lamp came on again :(

Maybe I should go look further, might the thermostat be on the lower hose?
Guess I should take the whole radiator out for a professional clean....might be some crap in the channels inside there. In the passages. There is no crap on the outside clogging fins.

SO, these MT machines do have thermostats? Where are the usually located?

Thanks
CooHead

/ Does the MT180 have a thermostat? #2  
Having the radiator rodded out will help a lot. I have the older version of your tractor, a S-470 Buck. Don't know if it came with a thermostat but it has one now. I recommend installing a mechanical gauge with the sender where the light sender is. Also build a screen to sit in front of the radiator to keep things out.

/ Does the MT180 have a thermostat?
OK.
I did blast it out with the hose again. Not easy to go from motor out as the fan and shroud there. Went from the front in to the engine compartment and some dirty water did come out. But, not blocked and clogged at all.
Will see how it runs tomorrow.
There is indeed a screen there in front. I'm good about pulling it out and cleaning it off often. Thinking it should be easy to take the radiator out and have it professionally cleaned and re-installed in a quick matter (grass is starting to grow, need my mower).

Good idea about the actual gage instead of idiot light. You say your machine has a thermostat. Is it in lower hose or upper?

Have to look at it all again a bit more thoroughly.

So.

Is this internet thing great, or what?

I'm always dipping into usergroups for RC planes and dirtbikes and now tractors.
Like anything you (I) want to learn about is out there and good people like yourselves are willing to add some advice.
Thanks'

Need any advice on dirtbikes or RC planes, just ask. I have more knowledge about them then little 3cylinder diesel tractors.
Want to see the drag me and my kid made for our MX track? :)

Coo

Cut the front yard today 20minutes or so and the heat lamp did not come on.
Maybe just water blasting the fins of the radoiator helped.

Guy at work said drain the radiator and fashion up some PVC parts so can fill it via the lower hose. Back fill it and let it flow out of the top. Really purge it out good. Tap on it with a plastic end of screw driver to break anything loose as it is over filling. Ocassikonaly cap the top with palm of hand so some pressure builds. Then, do the same thing from the top down to try to dislodge any rust of gunk or sludge that might be in there.

Seems like a good idea and cost nothing. If it still has the HEAT lamp come on, take the radiator out and have it professionaly dipped and cleaned and should be good to go.

If water pump was not working, it would over heat hard and fast.

/ Does the MT180 have a thermostat? #6  
My MT210D was getting too hot right after I got it (230ish). I had the radiator cleaned at a shop, then I back flushed the block.

Then I popped out the freeze plug and found a huge amount of gunk that didn't come out previously. I put a block heater plug back in instead of a new freeze plug.

Today it sat right at the thermostat (190) while mowing in 95F weather. I really think taking the freeze plug out helped a lot.

/ Does the MT180 have a thermostat? #7  
The thermostat housing is on top of the cylinder head.

Hoozie, where is this freeze plug you mention?
Easy to take it out and press a new one in there?

Coo