Mitsubishi MT250D, rebuild log / questions

/ Mitsubishi MT250D, rebuild log / questions #11  
I'm in the Friendswood/Pearland area. Tractor is on a property on Bastrop Bayou, near surfside. Lots of waterfront and dirt moving.
I'm still trying to figure out why the steering is acting the way it is. It over steers, the wheels do not stop when/where they ought to. It's not the bolts on the drives that stop the movement. I think its a pin in the steering box but can't tell from the drawings. The first time it did this it allowed the wheels to hit the side covers and bent them. The wheel will almost turn completely sideways to the frame. I know where this is controlled on most tractors but the bolts are inches away from being useful on mine. I'm starting to think the tires are on the rims backwards and when mounted are causing the rims to be outside and not hitting the stop bolts ?

/ Mitsubishi MT250D, rebuild log / questions
Happy new year !

Wow, the wheels stoppers that doesn't touch the wheels hub, this is scary! If you hit a stub like that, you can damage your steering box greatly (most likely what happened on your poor little tractor)

But talking about that, let me summarize what I did since my last post.

So obviously, my half *** rebuild didn't work. the combination of bad valve sits, and worn out pistons and cylinders, that couldn't work. So I assume the fact that I just did burn money here...

Oh well, lesson learned.

I went for purchasing a used block, from Diesel repower (Dennis), and after talking to him on the phone, I did pull the trigger on one bloc he had in stock.

Got the bloc a few days later (super fast actually). This other engine was obviously coming from something totally different than a tractor! it had no hydraulic pump mounting hole, and the flywheel was not made to receive a clutch. So My guess is this engine was used on a backup generator probably. (sweet ! those usually have a good life !)

I had to put every single timing gear out (pain in the @#$#%) to replace the back cover, that receives the hydraulic pump. Reinstall timing gearsthen, I replaced the flywheel from my old motor, and put the new clutch on it. adjusted the valve lifting, and I could cloase this engine, and slide it on the tractor rear end.

In the mean time (several weeks!) I had brought the front end frame and axle to a welding company, to redo the king pin of the front axle that had been hacked badly ! the previous owner did put a trailer hitch pin in the hole, had 1/2 gaps everywhere, and the axle would take almost 10 degree angle when you would be steering... So I took it appart to take measurements to do a new pin and brass bushing (that was my original idea), but when I started taking it appart, I realized, that the pin bore had been cracked in half and rewelded on the same spot... EEEEeeerk... I loaded the **** thing on my trailer, and brought everything to the shop !

Guys did an amazing job, new bore, new pin (with a greaser yaay) , new bronze bushing in the new bore that they welded back on the axle. They actually took a chance, and found some crack repairs, that they could have grinded and filled up with cast weld.

So I came back last week end with a beautiful front end for my little Mitsubishi.

After I installed the engine back on the rear end (it's super easy to line up the drive shaft to the clutch when it is just the engine that you have to play with !) then I reinstalled the frame, and the loader frame, lined up all the bolts and bolted the all thing down ! Now this thing was looking more like a tractor !

once I connected the wire harness on it, and fuel lines, hydraulic lines, filled hydraulic back up, and I figured I'll check the proper connection and rotations of this thing before I start to bleed all the high pressure lines.

Turned the key, starter kicks in, and Brrroooooaaaaap right away ! I got so surprised that it started right up, with air in the fuel lines, and no pre-heating !!

Very happy with my beautiful day (new years eve !) I got it out, to spin the wheels a little, and to proudly show my wife, that this blue thing in the barn was not just there to throw oil at everything that will come close to it...

Well, it did indeed... When I arrived in front of the house with the big smile on my face, I realized my feets were wet... Hydraulic oil was pouring down from the top of the steering column !

That didn't impress my wife, and I had to drive back to the barn with a big trace of hydraulic fluid following me there.

Dang it, I'm up to have some fun with a hydraulic power steering unit now. I imagine it's just a shaft seal from the steering shaft to the steering unit, since the power steering function great.

Anybody has an idea about that ? here are some pictures of this proud little dork.

Attachments

• IMG_20161231_134800.jpg
    IMG_20161231_134800.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 780
  • IMG_20161231_154951.jpg
    IMG_20161231_154951.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 732
  • IMG_20161231_155018.jpg
    IMG_20161231_155018.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 892
  • IMG_20170102_143052.jpg
    IMG_20170102_143052.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1,543
Ok, I finally got down to the faulty seal. it is in fact a shaft seal, that can be found anywhere. it is a 20x32x7 mm shaft seal.

I'm waiting to get it in right now, and will update once i install everything. the input shaft of the steering unit had pretty bad scars, so I ordered a speedi sleeve to have a nice and smooth surface for the seal lips.

This seal only retains the case drain pressure, so it should be straight forward once I put everything in.

I'll let you know.

this seal was easy to change, but upon inspection, the shaft was pretty damaged on the inner seal side. so I used a speedy sleeve to do a new seal surface on the shaft.

also, the clip used to set the seal in place was gone, so it was an hassle to find it, but after a little research it was all good !

so everything is back in place. and I hope it'll be there for good now !

/ Mitsubishi MT250D, rebuild log / questions #15  
Been following your progress, Keep it going!! I had never heard of a speedi seal, what a fast and simple solution to otherwise facing having a shaft replaced or machined. Appreciate you mentioning them!

Hey thanks for your heads up !

Yes, this speedi sleeve is a really good option for that kind of cases. I would not use that on some more critical locations, when you may have to get the bearing behind !

As of right now, my little R2D2 is running great ! starts right up, and I hooked the shredder to it to get it ready for mowing season.

Lot of electrical issues, and it doesn't present well though, but i'll get on that later.

/ Mitsubishi MT250D, rebuild log / questions #17  
Congratulations !
You did a LOT of work on that thing !
Can you tell me if your steering shaft has a pin or bolt on it to hold the main gear arm in place ?
Mine over steers and I see something on the parts diagram that looks like it would hold it, but its not labeled.

/ Mitsubishi MT250D, rebuild log / questions #18  
I have an MT2501D w/factory loader. Like many, it has been abused. I actually bought it for the loader. The 4KE motor
seems to be a rare bird. Is anyone interested in owning this or parts?
(Also traded a '97 Tahoe for a Yanmar YN3810D) (I got the good part of the deal)

Don't give up.

/ Mitsubishi MT250D, rebuild log / questions #19  
I have an MT2501D w/factory loader. Like many, it has been abused. I actually bought it for the loader. The 4KE motor
seems to be a rare bird. Is anyone interested in owning this or parts?
(Also traded a '97 Tahoe for a Yanmar YN3810D) (I got the good part of the deal)

Don't give up.
Is it the 4 cylinder 20 hp engine. Can yo take a pic

/ Mitsubishi MT250D, rebuild log / questions #20  
Is it the 4 cylinder 20 hp engine. Can yo take a pic

The Mitsubishi tractor motor is a 4cyl, 28-30hp. Do you still want pictures of something? Any 'official' information about an MT2501D can be reliably learned from 'Valley Power'. They are the folks I learned anything about the MT2501D from.

Don't give up

Last edited: