Power steering for a 1650!!

/ Power steering for a 1650!! #1  

pacer1980

Tractor
Kubota BX25D Mitsubishi D1650
A different approach to getting Power Steering on our notably hard to steer Mitzis -- Electric!

Yep, the proper term is " Electric Power Assist Steering or EPAS" Many, many of the newer cars (vehicles) have electric steering and its being talked about it replacing hyd systems. This setup is from a Saturn Vue models 02-07.

I first attempted this on one of my big Wheel Horse garden tractors wanting to get a feel for what was what - good thing too, it was a pill but in the end it functioned rather nicely thank you!

My end goal was to adapt it to my D1650 4x4 with loader, I'm sure you know what steering is like on these series of the Mitzis (and many other models) I was very hesitant to get into it because if I had to do any serious mods altering original parts, I just might not be able to get it back to stock what with parts availability for them being somewhat scarce. Anyway, I did have to cut the steering shaft and tube in order to mount the EPAS between the steer box and the steering wheel and also had to trim a bit off the plastic dash piece. (In case I do need to go back I kept the pieces and measurements to weld them back) It is a Tight squeeze and I also had to extend the tach wiring harness about 8", and I bumped a small dent into the fuel tank for a bit more clearance, but managed to get everything else stuffed in. Mind you this project it is not for the faint of heart, its a pretty involved job.

The silver box mounted on the left side is the "ECU" that was originally mounted to the EPAS - with it in that position it would not have fit - at all!! so I removed it and remounted it there. The little black box above it is the little control from the guy in Portugal. You might notice that I also used the Saturn steer wheel - my original was really rough anyway!

This Saturn unit requires a little after market adapter electric box (mentioned before), that a guy on ebay in Portugal sells for about $65, the EPAS I got came from a U-pullit place for $28 I have since found that there are several other EPAS from other cars out there that will also work and dont require the additional control.

So, how does it steer??? Well I first did a rough mock up and tried it sitting on the concrete garage floor and it moved the wheels seemingly easy. Next, after I got it in a drivable mode I made a couple round trips around the yard swinging from right to left at slow and fast speeds and it seems to do a right proper job, course the REAL test will come with that load of dirt in the bucket!! Too wet and crappy out to get a load now and any way I need to do some tidying up with the wiring, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3460.JPG
    IMG_3460.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3461.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 137
   / Power steering for a 1650!! #2  
Thanks for sharing. That is an innovative way to get "power steering" on these older machines. I've also seen where a person can put a hydraulic cylinder in the drag link from the gear box to the front axle. Turning the wheel causes a shuttle valve to move which supplies fluid to the appropriate side of a hydraulic ram. A benefit of the latter is it relieves a lot of stress from the gear box which seems to be a common point of failure for steering components under the high loading caused by loader attachments.

/ Power steering for a 1650!! #3  
I'd like to see more pictures of this. Doubt I'd ever try to replicate it, but I'm quite curious.

/ Power steering for a 1650!! #4  
Pretty neat...keep reporting as you continue testing.