Satoh s470 (Buck) Clutch Issue

/ Satoh s470 (Buck) Clutch Issue #1  

jdangel817

Tractor
Satoh Buck
Hello All,

I'm fairly new to the tractor scene and have just enough mechanical knowledge to get myself in trouble. I am hoping to get some advice on my clutch issue.

My question relates to a Satoh s470 (Buck). I purchased this tractor a couple of years ago. It had been sitting for quite some time but I got is started and going none the less. When I first got it running I noticed that the distance in disengaging the clutch was extremely minimal. Figured the clutch was going out and added it to the "things to fix" list.

Because a couple of leaking hydraulic rams on the front end loader, very little time and/or funds to fix this tractor, it sat for a couple of years.

Started it up again last year, no clutch. Purchased new clutch pad, pressure plate, fly-wheel/clutch bearing and throw-out bearing off of a vendor on eBay and replaced over this last winter.

Here's the issue(s):

When disassembling I found that other than very rusted, including being rusted to the fly-wheel, the clutch pad had plenty of meat and the pressure plate seemed fine. Again, other than the extreme rust. I compared the new with the old and everything is the same. Had the fly-wheel surfaced and replaced the old with the new. Cleaned up, honed and very slightly greased the sleeve and chamber holding the throw-out bearing, and checked the condition of the fork that engages said sleeve.

As I was putting this back together I noticed that the contact between the pressure plate and throw-out bearing is very minimal, almost not existent. Even tore apart a second time to see if I had forgot something or if some part was missing or incorrectly reassembled. Nothing, there is no more mechanically that I could see.

Tractor is back together and I've adjusted clutch pedal "rod" appropriately in order to engage the clutch as much as possible however, the clutch barely engages, grinding the gears more often than not when shifting, just as it did when I first purchased the tractor.

So my questions are:

What am I missing? Is it possible that the pressure plate that I just purchased and the pressure plate previously installed are the incorrect pressure plate? Is a deeper pressure plate with the same bolt up pattern feasible or available?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

/ Satoh s470 (Buck) Clutch Issue #2  
Does the pressure plate bolt to the same surface as the clutch disk contacts on the flywheel? Just wondering if it bolts to raised ears around the disk surface and at some time in the past the flywheel was resurfaced and mounting ear heights not adjusted?
Bryce

/ Satoh s470 (Buck) Clutch Issue #3  
You say the gears grind while shifting, is this happening while the tractor is in motion or standing still. The Satoh as many other standard shift tractors are do not have synchromesh gears.

/ Satoh s470 (Buck) Clutch Issue
Bryce, yes, the pressure plate bolts to the same surface as the clutch disk contacts on the flywheel. I will do some research on the flywheel regarding mounting ears.
Thanks.

/ Satoh s470 (Buck) Clutch Issue
You say the gears grind while shifting, is this happening while the tractor is in motion or standing still. The Satoh as many other standard shift tractors are do not have synchromesh gears.

Standing still. Sometimes it will go right in without grinding but most of the time it grinds when I shift it into gear. As far as upshifting or down shifting while in motion, I have not attempted that as of yet. Just putt-putting around the yard for now.