Mitsubishi D2050 Engine trouble.

/ Mitsubishi D2050 Engine trouble. #1  

Artychoke46

Tractor
Mitsubishi D2050
To all tractor experts, please bear with me. I have never owned a Diesel car or tractor before and I need help. I bought a Mitsubishi D2050, from my neighbors family, after he was put in a nursing home, and would not be returning. It is a 4x4 and I have 25 acres outside Yosemite, that my wife and I would like to retire on, and I knew I would need a tractor to make life easier for me. I knew it had not been started in years. There was water in the engine, but I noticed the exhaust stack had been uncovered, also for years and I decided to take a chance. Let me go back, the oil was way overfilled, I had no idea why. We drained and flushed the engine, cleaned the hot plugs, and the engine started up and ran perfectly. I drove it from his house to mine, and parked it. The next day I was checking the hydraulic fluid and found it to be almost empty. I replaced the fluid and started the engine. Everything worked. Two days later I went out and checked the oil, and it was way overfilled again, and the hydraulic fluid was down. I see no water in the engine or the Hydraulic fluid, or the oil cap. My question is, I don't know where to look to see how this is happening. How is it possible, broken hose, cracked block, something to do with a diesel engine? Any help, even if it is a complete guess will be much appreciated. I'm lost. Thanks in advance. Bob

/ Mitsubishi D2050 Engine trouble. #2  
Wow, strange. Here's a guess! Does it have a combined engine oil/hydraulic oil cooler that might have a pinhole allowing the pressure of the hydraulic system to bleed into the engine oil?

Can you determine if the overage of engine oil is made up of hydraulic oil, they may have different colors or odors as a tell-tale.

Others here will probably de-bunk my thoughts, let's see.

/ Mitsubishi D2050 Engine trouble. #3  
The hydraulic oil would appear to be migrating from the transmission into the engine? In 24 hours??
If there is a combined Engine/Trans Oil Cooler that could be your culprit. They're only little tractors so can't be too complicated.
If the hydraulic pump is driven off the engine there's another possible route for oil to leak through... maybe?

You (and we) need the manuals. From an earlier D2050 thread:

Hi! I see this thread is a year old... where did everyone go??? I 've recently purchased a mitsubishi d2350, it is in great shape with a loader but would like to do all maintenance on it as i do with every used vehicle i have owned. Would like to find a manual and dealer to purchase filter kit,etc. Thanks in advance for any help. I am in five acres,lots of work to do.

Call Bill Rogers, Valley Power Products, 540-345.-9650.
He'll tell u every thing u need to know. American model closest to D2050 is the MT 630. Operators manual gives 95% info u need. Specs, oils, PTO speeds, gear speeds, etc. Man is $18 + $7 shipping. I got 2 gas cap gaskets under same shipping. Friendly informative voice on the other end of line.

Valley Power Products is the place for Mitsubishi parts and manuals (vppinc@cox.net).

Valley Power

And Leonard offers info as well:

Leonard Sheaffer
sheaftractor@grics.net
403 Forbidden
Sheaffer's Town & Country Tractor

Last edited:
   / Mitsubishi D2050 Engine trouble.
To be real honest, I'm not sure about the oil/Hydraulic cooler. I can't find a picture of one. As for the color of the fluid. You take the dipstick out and qts. of what appears to be Hydraulic fluid pours. out. Thanks for answering, I'll continue to look for a combination cooler.

/ Mitsubishi D2050 Engine trouble. #5  
Well I doubt it's running through the flywheel seal...
So look for any pipework running from the rear past the engine to the front.

/ Mitsubishi D2050 Engine trouble. #6  
More than likely a seal on the hydraulic oil pump mounted on the engine.

/ Mitsubishi D2050 Engine trouble. #8  
Agree on hydraulic pump seal.....had the same thing happen before on a K3F engine. If it allows the engine to overfill enough, it will start running on the engine oil and the engine will run away on you....you can assume how I learned that!

/ Mitsubishi D2050 Engine trouble. #9  
To all tractor experts, please bear with me. I have never owned a Diesel car or tractor before and I need help. I bought a Mitsubishi D2050, from my neighbors family, after he was put in a nursing home, and would not be returning. It is a 4x4 and I have 25 acres outside Yosemite, that my wife and I would like to retire on, and I knew I would need a tractor to make life easier for me. I knew it had not been started in years. There was water in the engine, but I noticed the exhaust stack had been uncovered, also for years and I decided to take a chance. Let me go back, the oil was way overfilled, I had no idea why. We drained and flushed the engine, cleaned the hot plugs, and the engine started up and ran perfectly. I drove it from his house to mine, and parked it. The next day I was checking the hydraulic fluid and found it to be almost empty. I replaced the fluid and started the engine. Everything worked. Two days later I went out and checked the oil, and it was way overfilled again, and the hydraulic fluid was down. I see no water in the engine or the Hydraulic fluid, or the oil cap. My question is, I don't know where to look to see how this is happening. How is it possible, broken hose, cracked block, something to do with a diesel engine? Any help, even if it is a complete guess will be much appreciated. I'm lost. Thanks in advance. Bob

I had this happen on the same exact tractor... its the seal on the hydro pump and the cause is the 3 point valve/lever being lifted to far. the lever will go farther than the 3 point arms can move and will cause the hydraulic system to build up pressure and blow the seal. I used a socket and a hammer to pop the seal back in and although it held for the 3 years i had the tractor, i was always scared to over work it after that. If you got the money, just replace the pump. also weld something on the 3 point lever guide to keep it from going to far.