Turbo Satoh S373 Beaver III

/ Turbo Satoh S373 Beaver III
According to the manual I have the fuel injection rate for a K3A at "smoke set" is given to be 20.5 mm^3/stroke (+/- 1mm^3). At "start set" it's 30 mm^3 (+/- 5mm^3).

I believe start set is the max rack travel set by the stopper lever. When starting at low RPM no flyweight movement the rack should be near max rich allowed. Smoke set is whatever travel the governor allows before the springs on the governor and stopper lever reach equilibrium of forces at the stated speed of 1300 RPM.

I put in a setscrew to adjust max rack travel externally. My K3A stopper lever was stamped with the number 10.

Difference in displacement between K3A and B is 8.6%, that manual states the smoke set and start set fuel difference is about the same. For a turbo start with the basic assumption double pressure (absolute) double fuel.

Wish I could find comprehensive info on the K series injector nozzle sizes. Might need a bigger nozzle, it might be nozzle limited right now. Looks like K3E/F are the same but unsure about anything else.

Managed to find a real OEM parts catalog for the K3B/D/E

They share the exact same nozzle. Can't find the K3A nozzle P/N anywhere.

Each model uses a different plunger/barrel P/N.

The spring is called the 'smoke set spring' there is one P/N for each model.

There are 50-100 or more P/N's for the 'stopper lever', apparently these are select fit onto the pumps after flow testing.

Last edited:
I'm not going to pursue any more fuel system modifications, with the additional rack travel and the helper spring it will get up on the wastegate (7 PSIg) near 75% load or so and barely smokes, just a light haze. Not going to hurt anything this way. Its finished except the EGT gauge.

1710200001.JPG

1710200003.JPG

/ Turbo Satoh S373 Beaver III #44  
Nice work! Video???

Don't have a video camera and refuse to join the borg on the smartphone deal.

Thanks Youtube for taking a crappy video and making it even crappier.

2800 RPM on the hydraulics, 4 digit EGT in F.

Hrmm...guess link is necessary-

171:sneaky:2 - YouTube

Last edited:
Boss went and pushed some dirt around for an hour or so friday. When under working load pushing dirt it makes 4-5 PSI boost at under 1800 RPM, so the thing is about correctly sized, fuel pump changes worked out about right, and EGT's stay low, no overheating, so we're golden.

Looks like it needs a clutch now, :laughing:

Both people who have put in hours pushing dirt on this thing in stock form can't believe how much more power it has now.