Satoh Buck Clutch input shaft wtf?

/ Satoh Buck Clutch input shaft wtf? #1  

evan price

Silver Member
Tractor
Satoh S470 Buck
Ok guys been off for a while but my Buck is currently dead.
I was using a 500# roller to compact where a pool was going. I was using the mud brakes and the diff lock stuck down. Loud Bang. No more movement.
I thought i blew the clutch.
So today i pushed it in the barn and split it in half. Clutch is ok.
Appeared to be slop or something not connected in the transmission input shaft. So i split the tunnel off the transaxle.

It appears the input shaft from the clutch goes through the tunnel to get to the actual input shaft on the transaxle.

The rear end of this shaft has a thick steel collar. The collar is pinned to the clutch shaft AND to the transaxle input shaft with setscrews!

The transaxle input shaft has splines but they look chewed up.

The collar is Satoh blue.

Guys is this actually factory? or was this somebody repairing the busted shaft?

Has anybody else torn one of these apart?

I'm about 50-50 scrapping this thing. I know there is no way in **** I'll find parts.

Please advise!

/ Satoh Buck Clutch input shaft wtf?
Can anyone tell me what the clutch coupler should look like?
Mine does not have splines inside, it fits tight on the transaxle input shaft, but the shaft is splined and the splines look like they are chewed up.
I'm thinking the coupler should be splined inside and mine is stripped?

/ Satoh Buck Clutch input shaft wtf? #3  
Do you have a parts manual? I'm looking at mine and thinking item 13. The collar appears to have a set screw in each end. I'm not sure the set screw are even needed. Don't think the collar could slip either way far enough to become disconnected. I would guess it would have to be splined on each end, if not all the way through. Think I have seen these on ebay. Checking now. Nothing there. The parts book indicates splines on both shafts connected by the collar.

That i have it all apart i can see what the damage is.
The set screw that holds the clutch shaft coupler on the transaxle input shaft vibrated loose. I found it in the bottom of the tunnel. Now nothing was locking the clutch shaft onto the input shaft and it floated between the clutch and the input shaft. This causes fretting and wore the splines until the transaxle input shaft and coupler both stripped out the splines.
It appears i need an input shaft with 10 splines and 18 teeth, and a clutch shaft coupler with set screws.
Are parts still available?
Sources?
Thanks!

Bill at Valley Power took care of me this morning. Had parts in stock. Great guy to deal with, he helped me figure out the needle bearing and spacer assembly order after they feel into my oil drain pan.

Found the parts used on ebay as well however the ebay seller is insane on pricing. You can still get the coupler new for $195 and the ebay guy wants $250 for a used one!

/ Satoh Buck Clutch input shaft wtf? #7  
Bill at Valley Power took care of me this morning. Had parts in stock. Great guy to deal with, he helped me figure out the needle bearing and spacer assembly order after they feel into my oil drain pan.

Bill is "almost" a neighbor,, (we both live near the Roanoke valley!! :thumbsup:)

I have been buying from him since pre-internet,,, [1982]

/ Satoh Buck Clutch input shaft wtf? #8  
Looks like I'm going to have to split mine the same way. My 4wd quit and I don't see anything wrong inside the transmission. Driveshaft and front end seems to be ok.