Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    gradall g3r excavator, kawasaki mule 2500,ford 8000,and a 1936 caterpillar road grader

Default Rebuilding Mitsubishi k3d sleeve question

So my tractor I bought non running appears to need a rebuild. The previous owner said it kept getting harder and harder to start then wouldn't. He had removed the injection pump, I got it rebuilt and also noticed a hole in the air cleaner hose and to my fear it appears the engine got dusted and doesn't have enough compression to fire even on ether. So anyhow a rebuild it is. I see most kits say semi finished sleeves and they need to be finish bored, can I buy ones already finished somewhere? Otherwise I may just hone mine and re ring it
    Kawasaki Mule 2500,Ford 8000,Caterpillar road grader,gradall g3r excavator,JD210c

Tractor
    Iseki TX1300F/TX1500/ TX2160F/TS2220F/ Satoh S370D/S373D

Default Re: Rebuilding Mitsubishi k3d sleeve question

I usually try to do the cheapest route first which would be garage honing and rings in your case but if the engine was essentially ran without an air cleaner it is likely you won't get away with that. You'll need to check piston clearance and I wouldn't even attempt a re-ring if it's greater than 0.010". Some people will say less but I had an engine that was running with 0.020", albeit barely by re-ringing. Ultimately it had to be over-bored shortly after the attempt. If you're going to re-sleeve you'll probably want to do a final shop bore and hone on them after installation to make sure the sleeves have the correct finish and roundness required in the end. Sleeves can distort upon installation and you'll want to be sure this distortion is removed before installing new pistons. So my general rule is if you can get by fairly cheap go ahead and do so otherwise once you start down the road of boring, etc. you might as well do everything by the book to keep things matched as well as possible (i.e. no use putting new pistons in old bores, etc.) Obviously you'll have to open up your wallet accordingly and it makes sense to go all the way at that point as you can expect another 30-40 years out of it with the same usage. I'm a little torn at this point with what I've seen regarding bearings. Usually I would replace them along the way but I've seen almost no wear every time I took them apart and would chance reusing them during a cylinder refurbishment at this point.
    One nice thing about being average is you're not alone.

Tractor
    Satoh S373

According to the factory engine repair manual all the K3 blocks were not a sleeve style engine, direct bore in block. However just like any other they can be sleeved. Maybe you are looking at repair sleeve kits? I see three oversize pistons .25mm, .50mm, .75mm, which require block boring/honing in the usual fashion.
    I'm not seeing a specific piston to bore clearance but the service limit is .012" for all.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    gradall g3r excavator, kawasaki mule 2500,ford 8000,and a 1936 caterpillar road grader

Thank you, I guess I misunderstood that when I saw sleeves in the kits offered on eBay, what is your source for oversized pistons I haven't seen anywhere list them
    Kawasaki Mule 2500,Ford 8000,Caterpillar road grader,gradall g3r excavator,JD210c

Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe Deere Z930A ZTR

NCW Tractor Parts, LLC can get most parts and seem to be pretty sharp on Mitsubishi engines in particular. If not listed on their website give them a call.
    Darryl

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Well I finally got the engine opened up, good news is the bores cleaned up nicely with some honing, minimal taper measured, unfortunately the thing was bored .25 mm over at one time, and I will be darned if I can find a ring set that size. Everyone has standard, and .020 thousandth in oversized, but can't find .25mm, which is almost the same as .010 inch oversized. I have a set of standard rings already that came with a gasket kit almost tempted to use those despite end gap being somewhat oversized that way. Frustrating little engines, even the link Kernopelli shared only shows standard size rings.

Tractor
    Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility

JEGS, Summit and several other of the speed shops sell a ring grinder, inexpensive it is a flat fine grinding wheel turned by a crank, get your 20 overs and file to perfect fit.

Platinum Member
    Tractor

I thought about that, but realized after I was mistaken and the .020 over were for a k3e I don't seem to be able to find anything oversized for k3d, even thru CaseIH parts lookup, the 244 tractor used the k3d, they are no longer shown as available unfortunately

Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe Deere Z930A ZTR

Quote Originally Posted by markct View Post
    Frustrating little engines, even the link Kernopelli shared only shows standard size rings.
    Give NCW a call, they can get many parts that arent listed on their website. I will bet they can get you set up with the right rings.

Case Parts | Buy Online & Save lists the .25mm O/S rings for the 244......."RING SET, piston 0.25 mm O/S 1271932C1 $72.57"
    Darryl

Platinum Member
    Tractor

I emailed NCW, CaseIH doesn't show them in stock says they are discontinued, but maybe a dealer could hunt some down somewhere if I have to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast