MT180 Freeze Plugs- How many and Where?

/ MT180 Freeze Plugs- How many and Where? #1  

joeplowboy

Tractor
Mitsubishi MT180
Hello- I have an MT180 which has been a great little tractor for me for almost 25 years now. It has always been reliable with a few minor issues from time to time. Last summer, I had to replaced the water pump which was not too difficult a task and in my haste to get it going, I only placed water back in the radiator. My intention was to get it going as I had several chores to do and I would drain the radiator and place antifreeze/coolant prior to it turning cold. Well, needless to say my great intentions did not take place as planned. Usually, the NC winters are not too harsh where I live but unfortunately, I lost a freeze plug. No big deal or so I thought as I picked one up and replaced it. This is on the injector side of the engine near the starter. I picked up some antifreeze when I bought the freeze plug and began filling the radiator. I thought all was OK until I realized the radiator level was not topping off. It was at that time that I realized the antifreeze was flowing into the block itself and mixing with the oil. After such a disappointment for proper maintenance on my part, the tractor has sat for a couple of months now. I have not torn into the engine as of yet but have reviewed the repair manual looking for locations possibly of other freeze plugs. Someone told me there were probably several other locations to check and if lucky, I may have lost another freeze plug and possibly not have cracked the block. It is a 3 cylinder diesel with a model KC3-13MT engine. Does anyone have any more detailed information on this engine or had a similar issue related to freeze plugs that can offer help for additional possibilities to take a look at? She will still turn over but will give you a little oily shower if standing near the exhaust. I would like to try and get her running again as otherwise it is still a good machine. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

/ MT180 Freeze Plugs- How many and Where? #2  
Never saw a freeze plug inside an engine, where is the water going outside or into the oil

/ MT180 Freeze Plugs- How many and Where?
Never saw a freeze plug inside an engine, where is the water going outside or into the oil

Thank you for your reply. The coolant is going directly to the oil pan. Filling from the radiator cap, I can pull the dipstick and it will flow from there- a mixture of oil and antifreeze. I assume it could be a head gasket as well but more than likely a cracked block- which I was/am hoping is not the case as the one freeze plug near the starter did dislodge. I found it as the tractor was running and I made a few passes with a finish mower when it began to sputter and run hot. I could see steam coming from where the freeze plug use to be and found the plug laying on the frame just below its location on the side of the block. Someone mentioned to me that there could be other freeze plugs under the valve covers or elsewhere as they were somewhat necessary in the casting of the block itself. I am still hopeful that may be the case but have not began to dismantle the engine and find out for sure.

/ MT180 Freeze Plugs- How many and Where? #4  
It's possible as I'm not super familiar with that engine in particular, but would be amazed if the block isn't cracked. Despite the name freeze plugs they are really just core plugs from the casting process they are not to protect the engine in the event of freezing. I think they just got that name because when an engine froze they often push out as you found. I would pull the valve cover and look a few engines do have em in top, but not many. Hopefully you will be lucky!

/ MT180 Freeze Plugs- How many and Where? #5  
Sorry to hear.
Think U will be looking for a 'short block assy'.

I also have a MT180D so I sympathize as they are a real nice workhorse.
A real long shot would be that the leak is in a non critical area and could be welded but since it seems to be internal that would call for a complete tear down just to locate the affected damage.
Good luck!

/ MT180 Freeze Plugs- How many and Where? #6  
I have to agree with Piloon, sure sounds like a cracked block. If you still want to check freeze plug locations, you can get a detailed parts views of the block and head at Case Parts | Buy Online & Save . Enter the model for your parts diagram search as a Case 245 ( pretty much the same tractor as the MT18 and has the same engine).

If it comes down to replacing the engine, I always recommend TBN member "Bruce1966us" . Bruce Laten is located in Lynchburg TN and I have always felt his engine and shipping prices to be the best around. His number is 931-492-0316. He carries a variety of different brands of low hour Japanese diesel engines.

/ MT180 Freeze Plugs- How many and Where? #7  
You may have already solved this but...

There are three freeze plugs under the valve cover. I popped one in my '98 Cub Cadet Mitsubishi 3 banger last year. Pretty much the same circumstances as you. Pop off the valve cover and the plug is probably lying right next to the open hole. I pulled the injectors and put a cardboard box over the open cylinders. When I cranked her over the box went at least 20' feet in the air and the entire yard was covered in oil and water that squirted out like an old oil derrick movie. Good luck.

/ MT180 Freeze Plugs- How many and Where? #8  
Are the 3 freeze plugs next to each bolt on the inside? It looks like in missing my middle one but it might be for the oil to goo through I'm not sure. I am experiencing the exact same issue. There was no freeze plug laying in there though when i pulled the cover. Mines a Mitsubishi mt160.

/ MT180 Freeze Plugs- How many and Where? #9  
Hey since mine is awol does anyone know the size of the middle freeze plug under the valve cover?

/ MT180 Freeze Plugs- How many and Where? #10  
25mm found one and now water does not pour out the oil drain