SATOH 550G problems running NEW MEMBER NEED HELP!

/ SATOH 550G problems running NEW MEMBER NEED HELP! #1  

charlesfl

First of all, I am glad to see there is a support group for tractors, and this one looks really great. With that said, let me see if anyone can help....

I have acquired a 1970's model Satoh Elk 550g. It is in decent shape, but well used. It will need a great deal of work to become a reliable daily use unit, but I would like to begin by getting it running properly. This afternoon I put a battery in it, and had a rough time getting it to crank. After changing the cables and cleaning multiple connections, I can get it to crank with no problems. The gas tank is shot, so I ripped it off, and rigged a gas container as a temporary fuel supply solution. All of the throttle linkage was seized up, so I lubricated everything and appear to have it working fairly well. Here is the deal- I can get the thing to start, after cranking it for a minute or so, IF i put gas in the carb. It runs that gas out, and then that is it. One time, I seemed to get it to run off the fuel in the fuel tank as well. If I pour more gas in the carb, after another minute of cranking, I get it to run again for a few seconds.... Do I need to get this carb rebuilt? Anything else I should do? I don't want to pour money into this machine and then find out there is an array of other problems.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

/ SATOH 550G problems running NEW MEMBER NEED HELP! #2  
We've corresponded privately about this. Here's an update for the readers. At my suggestion you discovered it had no fuel pump and it doesn't work well as a gravity feed. Install a low pressure electric pump or the original mechanical pump because it is starving for fuel.