PTO on Satoh Bison S-650G

/ PTO on Satoh Bison S-650G #1  

RogerD

Hello

I just bought a S-650G. I think it was made sometime from 1973 to 1978. It has a single clutch. I have the "Instruction Book". It tells me that depressing the clutch disengages the PTO. This is not happening. I can engage the PTO using the lever behind the seat, but depressing the clutch does not disengage it. I have a 4 foot bush hog and cannot engage it because the I can't seem to disengage the PTO. It just grinds when I depress the clutch and try to use the PTO lever behind the seat. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a problem with the clutch not working in the PTO? I have removed the stop bolt for the clutch to make it go further down. This does not fix the problem. Any help is appreciated.

/ PTO on Satoh Bison S-650G #2  
Are you having problems engaging/dis-enaging the clutch at anytime the tractor is running or only when you try and dis-engage with the brush hog running? Do you continue to move forward after depressing the clutch with the brush-hog running? Do you have an over-run coupler on your PTO? Do you have problems shifting gears and/or between high and low ranges?

/ PTO on Satoh Bison S-650G
Thanks for responding. I can run the PTO by using the lever behind the seat as long as there is nothing attached to it. I can engage and disengage it with the lever either using the clutch or not using the clutch. Again, as long as nothing is attached to the PTO. When I depress the clutch, the PTO still turns. As soon as I put a load on the PTO (such as the bush hog) I can no longer engage it using the lever, even with the clutch pedal depressed all the way down, it just grinds. So I guess my question is, If the PTO is running should depressing the clutch disengage it until I let out the clutch again? If so, then there must be a problem with the clutch not disengaging the PTO. I do have an overrunning clutch on the PTO. I hope I was more clear this time.

Thanks again

/ PTO on Satoh Bison S-650G #4  
What is the serial number of your tractor? Let's verify that it is a single stage model because it doesn't sound like your clutch is releasing all the way. Dual clutches were used in tractors beginning with S/N 700001. Bill

Bill

The serial number is 700108.

/ PTO on Satoh Bison S-650G #6  
As you learned in talking with us today, this is a 2 stage clutch and it is likely that the pto stage is stuck from sitting idle for awhile. I hope your discussion with Lemuel helped. Let us know how it turns out.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. As far as I can tell, it is a 2 stage clutch. I don't have to push the pedal too far before the transmission disengages. Lemuel figured that the clutch plate for the pto is stuck because of moisture. He suggested 2 things. First, engage the pto while the tractor is off, then start the tractor. While the bush hog is running work the clutch up and down several times to try and get it unstuck. This did not work. However, I purchased an overrunning clutch that I had on the pto shaft while I was doing this. I'm wondering if I should take that off and then try it. The other thing he suggested was to open up the tractor to get to the clutch plate and physically separate the two. Obviously this is the worse case scenario. My understanding is that there is no inspection cover, so I would be essentially breaking the tractor in half to do this operation. There is some kind of cover on the bottom of the tractor near that area, but I don't know what it is for.