Gear Oil and Engine Oil

/ Gear Oil and Engine Oil #1  

redalrt

I'm new, I'm stupid. I just bought my 'lil Beaver III. I wanna change my engine oil and gear oil. My head is spinning from looking at the oil/lubricant forum...Group 3, Group 4, zinc dialkyldithiophosphates (ZDDPs), dino, synthetic,...AAUUUUGGG! My head is about to explode.

I'm standing in Walmart, looking at a blizzard of oil containers.

1. What is a good quality 10W-30 diesel oil that will take care
of my tractor.

2. What brand of good quality hydraulic oil do i need and
It comes in 5 gallon buckets? How do you dispense the oil
from the bucket into that little gearbox filler port?

3. Where do I get the pump to get the diesel from the
(yellow) 5 gal can I'm about to buy into the fuel tank?

I'm trying not to mess up here, thanks in advance.

/ Gear Oil and Engine Oil #2  
I use Shell Rotella-T in the engine and any major manufacturers general purpose tractor transmission/hydraulic fluid in the gear case. I purchase both at Auto-Zone.

Buy a funnel for the gear case oil, you'll need it. You can transfer some fluid to a small clean container first then re-pour to the gear case if the 5 gallon pail is to awkward for you to handle.

The 5 gallon diesel can should have a built in filler spout to pour from.

/ Gear Oil and Engine Oil #3  
Redalrt,
I am not a lil beaver owner, but I am sure someone else can pitch in here and probably help you find a manual. In the meantime here is my 2 cents.

What part of the states are you in? Climate can play a role in your engine oil choices... Rotella 30W oil has a wide range for operating tempratures for most of the year. I love it and use it in most everything. In the winter, alot of folks go to a blended weight (5w-30w for example) oil for cold engine starting. If you are in a moderate climate the Rotella 30w will last all year. I live in Virginia and the 30w works for me.

As far as tractor fluid, I like the Coastal 303 or Coastal Celtrac. You can pick it up at Advance Auto Parts or a Farm/Auto store. Anybodys 303 should be fine. There are many choices here, and even more opinions, I would let some of the senior guys chime in here...

As far as delivery mechanism, for $10 at Tractor Supply Company you can buy a Pail Pump with 3 foot hose. This is a great back saver. They make a pump for gas cans as well.

Hope that helps!
Bob

/ Gear Oil and Engine Oil #4  
Lots of good info in those posts, all essentially correct. Here's what Mitsubishi recommends in the transmission. This is a shared system, using the same oil for gear lubrication and hydraulic operation. Mitsubishi recommends 80W/90 gear oil. However, there is an "or" there that indicates hydraulic oil is acceptable. We recommend using hydraulic oil such as JD type 303 or equivalent if you have an external hydraulic implement such as a loader. Other wise stick to the 80W90 gear oil. As in the above post, 15W40 Shell Rotella is a top choice. We sell all the manuals for your tractor as well as new and used parts. Email vppinc@rev.net or call toll free 1-800-609-5110. Satohparts.com

/ Gear Oil and Engine Oil #5  
Is your tractor a 4WD? If so you will need 80-90 in the front axle so if you don't have a loader or othter hydraulic attachment just use 89W90 for the hydraulic and transmission too. I have been told there is a fill level plug on the left side of the transmission case. There is also a filter screen on the right side near the bottom of the case. Held in by three bolts. Remove it and clean it good then reinstall. Be careful with the o-ring. There are two drain plugs side by side. Open both. The oil filter I use is a NAPA 1334 and is used on many cars, such as a few Honda models. Your air filter will be NAPA 6270. You should get a set of manuals from Bill, they are great. I have the same tractor 'cept its a grey version and 4WD. I just bought a pail pump from TSC and it cost $30.00 and it is all plastic. Was in a bind and had to put some oil in an Oliver to bush hog pastures. For fuel I was using five gallon plastic fuel cans with a small pump. Now I use a thirty gallon barrell with an oil barrell pump. It has a metal spout that I slipped a piece of garden hose over to reach the tractor. After filling the tank the end of the hose gets stuck in an empty 5 gallon bucket w/lid and spout. The barrell pump is fast enough for refilling the Beaver. For motor oil I use Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 cause that's what my local (on the way home) NAPA sells. It is more convenient for me than Rotella since I don't go to Wal-Mart very much.

/ Gear Oil and Engine Oil
Thanks guys. I just sent your replies to the printer.