MT180H power steering and other projects

/ MT180H power steering and other projects #1  

KenCombs

I have an MT180H. I have a couple of winter projects in mind and am looking for info or the benefit of others experience.

First the must fix: The clutch slips when the PTO is under a heavy load such as running my pasture mower in heavy stuff. The mower slows, but the engine doesn't. Also, when using a box blade, a heavy pull will cause the tractor to slow, without the engine slowing. The Hydrostat seems fine and the clutch pedal is really stiff and doesn't return well. I think it is heavily rusted inside. I plan to split the tractor and repair or replace whatever I find. Any words of wisdom?

Second a project I would like to do: I have a Char-lynn power
steering setup off a small forklift. The gear, shaft, wheel and pump.
The pump was originally run by an electric motor when on the
forklift. The motor was started when the steering wheel was turned off center about 15 degrees and stopped when straight ahead.
Obviously, I want to use the tractor hydraulics. I think I need a
priority or flow divider valve. Given the low flow rate of the pump, I'm thinking a pressure sensing valve that would normally allow flow
to the steering, but if the 3 pt was activated allow flow to that but not stop flow to the steering. Or, if I could find a deal to trade for a load sensing steering gear box maybe. I know some Satohs had power steering with a priority valve, does anyone know of a source for a used one?

Last, I am working on a wheel and tire change. Mine has 8x16 ag tires. It probably should have the 18" tires but mine came with 16s.
I bought a set of 31x15-15 turfs that came from a small John Deere, a 650 I think. The tires would not clear the rear end housing because of the width, they measure 16" accross at the widest point! I ground the welds off where the center plate was attached to the rim. A relative that works in a machine shop is redrilling the centers to match the Mitsubishi pattern. I will weld them back to the rim with the right offset to clear all the tractor parts. I also plan to relocaate the fenders down, back and out about an inch each to make room for a larger seat and make mounting and dismounting easier. Any ideas or cautions here?

I can post pics of the wheel and tire change if anyone is interested.

Finally, I am looking into the options for front wheels and tires.
The 4.00-4.50x10 triribs are not great on grass! I have narrowed my
choices down to two: A set of 4.80x8 trailer tires and wheels or a
wider and taller trailer tire. There are some 16.5x6 - 8 or
20.5x8 10 trailer tires that I can make work with some wheel or hub
redrilling. These are similar in diameter to the ags. And, they
have good load rating for the FEL I would like to add. Any thoughts
here?

/ MT180H power steering and other projects #2  
If this is a hudrostat drive clean all filters and replace the fluid befor spliting the tractor. A hudrostat is really two hydralic punps one driving the other. If a restirction in fluid flow occurs it will seem like a clutch slipping. If you ran the tractor for some time with the clutch seeming to slip and you did not smell something burning it is most likely not a clutch problem.

/ MT180H power steering and other projects
Yes, it is a Hydro, but when the mower slows I don't think the cause can be in the hydro system. I think that the PTO is not driven by the hydro. Any experts that can confirm or clariify that?

I didn't run it with the slippage becuase if it is the clutch I didn't want to damage the flywheel face. BTW, the hydro filter has only 50 hours of use, the entire tractor has just over 400 hours. And, yes it is a four digit meter.

Thanks, for the response.