MT372, Runs bad at high engine speeds.

/ MT372, Runs bad at high engine speeds. #1  

MT372HERE

Silver Member
ey everyone, I havent posted on here in about 6 months or so. Ive been playing around with the free MT372 I picked up before Christmas last year.

Ive put about 30 hours on it, and I have some questions.

It runs bad and has no power above about 2400 rpms. If I go to mow (50" Haban Belly mower) and I engage the deck, and move it to 2700 to cut, it starts spitting out some white smoke, and sounds like its missing or floating the valves.

Engine doesnt have 400 hours on it yet, and starts easily, even in the cold. Fuel is fresh, tank is clean, filter could be better...but it flows, and Ive bled the lines dozens of times. One never has any bubbles, and one has a few very very tiny bubbles when I crack the fitting at the injector. The re are no leaks or wet spots on or around the pump, or any of the fittings or lines.

Any suggestions?

/ MT372, Runs bad at high engine speeds. #2  
The white smoke thing is unburned fuel more than likely...hopefully since it could be water also. The cutting out thing and I'm guessing here but the tractor has set for a good while and the injector pump may need a little work.
Have ya run a compression test on her to see where you stand there?

I know on my 372 I can run it at 2200 and it seems like it is givin it all she has, I don't know for sure if it really is running at 2200 or not but I can till and mow (bush hog) just fine at 2000 - 2200 rpms, with a machine this old without knowing the complete history it is really hard to say what has or has not been done on it.

/ MT372, Runs bad at high engine speeds.
wushaw said:
The white smoke thing is unburned fuel more than likely...hopefully since it could be water also. The cutting out thing and I'm guessing here but the tractor has set for a good while and the injector pump may need a little work.
Have ya run a compression test on her to see where you stand there?

I know on my 372 I can run it at 2200 and it seems like it is givin it all she has, I don't know for sure if it really is running at 2200 or not but I can till and mow (bush hog) just fine at 2000 - 2200 rpms, with a machine this old without knowing the complete history it is really hard to say what has or has not been done on it.

So I should pull the delivery pumps and clean em up, and pull the injectors and clean them?

Really dont want to pull the pump box unless Ihave to, as it involves pulling the muffler..

And yes, it set up for about 10 years total before I got it going again. No water in fuel, and the water level in the radiator is not dropping.

Thanks man, we'll get it figured out, but like most things, its gonna take time. If yours is only going 2200...you arent seeing full blade tip speed!

Id put a tach on it and find out. If its only getting 2200, there is a little nut and bolt on the top of the injector box, that limits the travel of the throttle.

/ MT372, Runs bad at high engine speeds. #4  
I don't know if the tach is working right and I am not too worried about it since it will till and cut.
Pulling the muffler is only four bolts, I had to replace mine last year with an aftermarket alternative from the local muffler shop, the origional one was completely blown out on the ft side.

I don't know where you really need to start on the injector pump or injectors.
Starting anywhere on a tractor that has sat for ten yrs is a good start.

/ MT372, Runs bad at high engine speeds. #5  
no mechanic here but shouldent the diesel smoke be black coming out the exhaust.if it is coming out white and the engine is sputtering isnt that suggesting that the fuel in the cylinders are probably contaminated possibly with water? maybe a bad gasket?

/ MT372, Runs bad at high engine speeds.
I tried to take off the injectors, to give em a look..

I got the retaining bolts loose and OFF, but Im not sure how to get the actual injectors out...

-----

As it is now, it fires right up, and idles as good as any diesel ive ever seen. You can run it up to 2400 and its smooth, turn the blades on and its still smooth, go up to 2700 or so, and it starts to "miss".

Engine is low hours, under 400 original hours.

Also, what oil filter should I use on this thing, and how much oil?

/ MT372, Runs bad at high engine speeds. #7  
u need a good diesel mechanic to fix your tractor. u have to check the compression. u have to check the injectors and injector timing.governor has to be checked also the fuel filter.

/ MT372, Runs bad at high engine speeds. #8  
Oil Filter Wix # 51365 and It should be listed on the R/H side of the fuel tank or just underneath it as far as capacities, I think it's something like 3qts.