Satoh Beaver Starter swaps in Aus

/ Satoh Beaver Starter swaps in Aus #1  

toasty

Hi all,
Im in Aus, and just wondering if anyone would know a direct swap car starter motor to suit a 370 beaver? I would imagine there may be a small car starter which would slip straight in. Mine needs a hard tap on the side to get it to work and its getting harder all the time to get it started. Maybe someone knows how to fix this?
Thanks heaps for any advice

/ Satoh Beaver Starter swaps in Aus #2  
Have the starter rebuilt

/ Satoh Beaver Starter swaps in Aus #3  
sounds like the starter needs new bushings and brushes.if u know how to rebuild it u might be able to get a rebuild kit from your tractor dealer.otherwise ship it to a rebuilding facility.

/ Satoh Beaver Starter swaps in Aus
hi again,
i fixed it!
although i found a replacement starter, i decided to try to fix my own one, so pulled it down, cleaned all the sludge and rubbish out of it, then gently polished the copper and brushes. works like new!! thanks for those who answered
cheers

/ Satoh Beaver Starter swaps in Aus #5  
toasty said:
hi again,
i fixed it!
although i found a replacement starter, i decided to try to fix my own one, so pulled it down, cleaned all the sludge and rubbish out of it, then gently polished the copper and brushes. works like new!! thanks for those who answered
cheers

Hi Toasty
I'm glad you were able to get your starter fixed yourself- I guess you don't remember what starter the Beaver crossed over to in the auto parts store? That info would be good to have. I was unable to get my Beaver to turn over so I tore it down and cleaned it out much the way you did. I tested the starter with a 12v supply and it spins but I think the solenoid is what is the trouble with mine. When I reassembled the starter and put it back on the Beaver I get no power on the solenoid lug closest the engine. I figured if we knew which new part was the replacement we could weigh that against the cost of a rebuild. Not sure what the local electric motor repair outfit gets for a starter rebuild but it looks like I am going to find out.
Cheers
SamR

/ Satoh Beaver Starter swaps in Aus #6  
   / Satoh Beaver Starter swaps in Aus #7  
SamR said:
Looks like the answer is already on here and I hadn't gotten that far... http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-starter-repair.html?highlight=beaver+starter

I bought this unit at AdvanceAutoParts (aka PartsAmerica.com)

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=ATI&MfrPartNumber=16524&PartType=123&PTSet=A

and Dadzilla is right, just swap the Bell Housing and she fired right up like a charm. This one was only $56.99 so I thought that was as reasonable as I was going to get.

They listed another unit that was only $24.99 and Yes I ordered it first but they claimed it was out of stock. Make sure you only look at units made for the Dodge Colt with an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. Cheers
Sam