5740C Cab Radio replacement

/ 5740C Cab Radio replacement #1  

NetworkMD

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana 5740C
Hello, I am thinking about replacing the Cass radio in my 5740 with a MP3 capable radion with clock, has anyone else done a similier replacement, do you know if there is a hot wire in the overhead to power the clock full time? Thanks

/ 5740C Cab Radio replacement #2  
Go for it! Everything you need is there!

/ 5740C Cab Radio replacement #3  
As stated, go for it, but I'm NEVER telling the wife that it can be done because then I would never be able to get her out of our tractor seat!!

/ 5740C Cab Radio replacement
Thanks for the input, I have not taken the radio out yet so do you think there is a hot wire available? I notice the current radio only has power when the key is on?

Thank you

/ 5740C Cab Radio replacement #5  
I put a Panasonic cd/xm radio in my 4940C. I went back with the Panasonic brand because it had a Panasonic cassette player in it. The factory wiring harness fit my new cd/xm Panasonic radio without having to cut and or splice any wires. I did have to install the XM antenna in the cab. O yeah, I almost forgot. Be sure and get a radio with a remote control. You can change channels with out taking your eyes off of where you are going.

/ 5740C Cab Radio replacement
Yes I agree on the remote, that will be a priority. So does your clock work ok? I am just concerned there is not a hot wire in the radio area.

Sorry for the questions, I would just pull it out but I have to work in Anaheim Ca for awhile and tractor is back East for now :(

Thanks

/ 5740C Cab Radio replacement #7  
The hot wire for the radio is built into the factory wiring harness. Its not hot all of the time, its only hot when the key is turned on. Most new after market radios have a built in memory so, if you do turn off the main power, it should not loose any stored information. I have had times when I didn't use my tractor for a few months. When I did use it, I noticed that my radio never lost my clock or station settings.

Yes, the remote is a nice feature and I use mine a lot of the time. I'm looking to upgrade my speakers now. I want to add in a sub for that movie theater sound effect. Yes, it does sound funny to add all of this audio equipment to a tractor but hey, why not its fun. Being in my tractor and using it for what its intended for or, just being in it to go and get the mail it's still my way out from the daily grind.

/ 5740C Cab Radio replacement #8  
UncleBuck:

What is it worth for her not to find out that the radio can be replaced with a nice MP3 player?

Cheers from Texas.

Glenn.

/ 5740C Cab Radio replacement #9  
Stampeder said:
UncleBuck:

What is it worth for her not to find out that the radio can be replaced with a nice MP3 player?

Cheers from Texas.

Glenn.

Glenn,

Right now she's up in Anchorage AK visiting with her mother. Kind of an emergency thing, but not serious, medically! SOOOO,....Go ahead, shout it from the rooftops, in fact, send her a registered letter telling her!! I don't care because I'm not tellin' when she'll be back and I get the mail!!! ROTFLMBO!!

/ 5740C Cab Radio replacement #10  
actualy went by the stereo store with the tractor on the trailer to get a bid, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Doable 'at around $350' full satelite packaget had a lousy July, had to givr up something, bye, bye satellite radio Sidey