4340c and the cold weather

/ 4340c and the cold weather #1  

WEJ

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 4340
Well, winter has hit here in western Maryland. We had a about a foot of snow this past week. I had a great time blowing it away in my warm comfy cab!!! Then the next day the temperature went into the teens.... I started the tractor and it run for about 20 sec. making a terrible racket and died... for the next two days the temps were in the teens and my tractor would not start. Today it got back in the 30's and it started. Soooo, it looks like I need some kind of heater to keep my Montana warm. I was wondering if anyone was using any of the magnetic type. If so, where is the best place to place them and how well do they work? Or, do I need a fuel additive? or both!! My tractor does sit outside, I have no garage.... and soon the temps are going to go below freezing and stay there for a couple of months!!! :eek:

WEJ

/ 4340c and the cold weather #2  
Check you engine oil specs and put in the lowest digit viscosity oil recommended for your tractor. I like synthetic oil.

jmf

/ 4340c and the cold weather #3  
Use a fuel additive so the fuel does not gel and you can use a magnetic block heater as well as a lower radiator heater.

Thanks,
Maka

/ 4340c and the cold weather #4  
Come winter I use Rotella 5W40 synthetic, a dose of Power Service mixed in with fuel, and a magnetic heater slapped up under her belly and she fires up first time, every time.

Attachments

• Brrrrr.jpg
    Brrrrr.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 338
   / 4340c and the cold weather
Just a quick follow-up to the begining of this tread.... I must have had some fuel that did not have enough additive in it when I first posted. I have been adding some anti-gel to the fuel now and the tractor starts right up!!! NO Problem!!

As far as I am concerned Montanas are SUPER!! I love getting out in the snow and playing with mine...... So let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!! :cool:

/ 4340c and the cold weather #6  
WEJ said:
As far as I am concerned Montanas are SUPER!! I love getting out in the snow and playing with mine...... So let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!! :cool:

Caution is warranted here, your wife may read these comments and discover you actually like the snow clearing task.

It then moves from the column "Work" to the column "Play". FFLF (Female Fun Limiting Factor) rules will then apply.

In short, some things guys with tractors just understand and are better left unsaid. I want to be able to come in from snowplowing, drop into my easy chair exhausted, have her fix my lunch and bring it to me while I watch football. I don't want that messed up.

/ 4340c and the cold weather #7  
citytransplant said:
Come winter I use Rotella 5W40 synthetic, a dose of Power Service mixed in with fuel, and a magnetic heater slapped up under her belly and she fires up first time, every time.

When you say under her belly, are you talking about the transmission housing or the engine oil pan. I have a Farmtrac 300DTC and it has started fine so for this winter but we have not had zero weather yet. If I have starting issues when it gets below zero I think I will go with a magnetic heater also. Just curious if it would be better under the transmission or the engine.
Thanks

/ 4340c and the cold weather #8  
Just thought I would let you know , I purchased a 4940 this fall and it came with a factory circulating coolant heater. I live in Alberta Canada and use it when it goes down to about -20 celcius.You may be able to ask one of your local dealers to get you one. Have fun in the snow(I know what you feel like).

Montana Green

/ 4340c and the cold weather
biggerten said:
Caution is warranted here, your wife may read these comments and discover you actually like the snow clearing task.

It then moves from the column "Work" to the column "Play". FFLF (Female Fun Limiting Factor) rules will then apply.

In short, some things guys with tractors just understand and are better left unsaid. I want to be able to come in from snowplowing, drop into my easy chair exhausted, have her fix my lunch and bring it to me while I watch football. I don't want that messed up.

Hey, Not to worry...... There are no women here on this site........ ;)

/ 4340c and the cold weather #10  
32Ford said:
When you say under her belly, are you talking about the transmission housing or the engine oil pan.

The magnetic heater kisses the engine oil pan for a few hours before I turn the key. I then let her sit running for 15 or more minutes to get the fluids warmed up and flowing nice.