Plowing with 5740

/ Plowing with 5740 #1  

TillerofdaEarth

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Montana 5740 w FEL
Well I finally gave my tractor a workout this past week, plowing 12.5 acres of pretty tough sod. Soil conditions ranged from clay to sandyloam.

Was pulling an old Oliver 16" 3 bottom plow 8" deep. I must say the 5740 handled it very well. I was in low range, 4th gear which is around 4mph and used FWD and a bucket full of dirt.

Traction with the R4's wasn't as much of an issue as I anticipated and I was pleased with their performance for the most part, although R1's would have been better.

The tractor had plenty of power, and when I hooked a big tree root, the tires just started digging holes. I was very impressed with the operation of the draft control, it was smooth and responsive.

I am just very happy with the performance of this 5740 and this true test it just passed!

Also, the exhaust stack being so handy on this tractor made an excellent hand/glove warmer on these cool Texas plow days.

Attachments

• Montana plowing 002.jpg
    Montana plowing 002.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 461
  • Montana plowing 003.jpg
    Montana plowing 003.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 402
  • Montana plowing 004.jpg
    Montana plowing 004.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 387
  • Montana plowing 005.jpg
    Montana plowing 005.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 384
  • Montana plowing 006.jpg
    Montana plowing 006.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 382
  • Montana plowing 007.jpg
    Montana plowing 007.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 399
   / Plowing with 5740 #2  
Those are great pics, you must have a GPS navigation system on that tractor to keep the rows so straight!!!!! From what everyone tells me those Oliver plows can't be beat for turning the ground effortlessly, your pics prove that..

/ Plowing with 5740 #3  
Hey Tiller,

When you're done in Springtown why not just put that baby on a trailer and come up Hwy 51 about 25 miles and do my place!! I could use the "training seminar" on doing straight rows, and I'd expect my "training seminar" to be completed just about the time the plowing was too!! LOL!!

Looks good buddy!!

/ Plowing with 5740 #5  
TillerofdaEarth said:
Was pulling an old Oliver 16" 3 bottom plow 8" deep. I must say the 5740 handled it very well.

What is your tractors HP?

Great pics, I enjoyed looking at them and day dreaming about plowing my food plot this spring.

Eddie

/ Plowing with 5740
No GPS here Oleozz, like MtnView said, I have done this before. :D although it's been a few years. Probably been about 21 years or so since I last turned some earth with a plow, and I had a big ole grin on my face the whole time.

UncleBuck, I am loaded up and on my way! :p I'm not ready to be done plowing yet. :(

Eddie, this tractor is rated @ 57HP.

/ Plowing with 5740 #7  
Nice pics, thanks for taking the time to post them.

That soil looked like it hasn't been turned over in a while. Do you know how long its been if ever? That plow really compliments your machine's available traction. Great job on the straight rows. My guess is that if you had R1's you'd be able to pull a 4 bottom. I'm not nit pickin. You got 'er done!

What are your plans for the field this year?

/ Plowing with 5740
Hi Kyle,

I know this soil has not been tilled in the 12 years that I have owned it. Judging from the trees and shrubs that had grown up before hand, I would safely add another 10 to 15 years bringing the total to 20 to 25 years since this soil has seen any kind of tillage.

My plan is to sprig this acreage into Tifton85 Bermuda this Spring.

/ Plowing with 5740 #9  
TillerofdaEarth said:
My plan is to sprig this acreage into Tifton85 Bermuda this Spring.

Good choice.

You might want to start a thread in the agriculture folder. I'm sure many others would enjoy your "starting up a new hay field" endeavours. I'm just saying more people might see it that don't frequent the Montana Equipment Folder.

Good luck.

/ Plowing with 5740 #10  
Where are all the rocks! Up here in Western Maine you can't turn over anything with out finding rock. My dad and I did a hay field 8 years ago and what a time just picking rocks.
Brian