Montana 3440 HST 4wd with Loader

/ Montana 3440 HST 4wd with Loader #1  

wjr13

Tractor
Montana 3440 HST
I have been looking at tractors for 7-8 weeks now, as I am getting ready to purchase one. I started by looking for a "good used one", but ave been unable to find a good deal on one as of yet. I live in East Texas, so tractors are not hard to find. When I do find one I like, it is basically the same price as a new one (JD's, Kubota's, Massey's, etc.). I finally just decided to look for a new one. After looking at JD's, Kubota's, Mahindra's, TYM's (23-hp and 27-hp too small for a 5' cutter), New Holland's, etc, I found the Montana's while looking at a used Kubota. The dealer redirected me to a 3440 HST with loader and 4wd. After speaking with him, I feel like the Montana will hold up better for what I need it for. I am curious what others out there think of these tractors. It seems like the DaeDong 3-cylinder is a strong and dependable engine. Also, for the same price, I'm getting a 4wd loader tractor with 34 hp instead of 25-30. The HST trans and steering, as well as the cruise control are also nice to have thrown in at the price. The price is definitely awesome on this unit, I just wanted to know what the tractor public thinks on these units, as I'm new to the market.

/ Montana 3440 HST 4wd with Loader #2  
I have the smaller sister version of that tractor (2740) which I pull a 5ft Howse bushhog with and it handles it just fine (some material I am going through a little slower perhaps - but at my age I am in no hurry to get back to the house anyways!). It also has the Daedong motor and that has worked extremely well both summer and winter ... had a small problem with the PTO engagement which my dealer fixed up real well.

/ Montana 3440 HST 4wd with Loader #3  
I have the bigger sister, 3940HST and I am happy with it. I was looking at the 3440 originally but got a deal on the 39 HP with a 4 cyl Mitsubishi. I thought I prefered the Mit over the Daedong (I hadn't heard of the Dingdong :) engine before I bought).

I am very happy with the tractor, especially with the options it comes with that are not standard on the 'big' names (i.e. rear remotes). Bang for buck they are a good deal.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. If it does not come with a grill guard, put one on it immediately! :eek:

/ Montana 3440 HST 4wd with Loader
Thanks for the advice on the grill guard. Not to be a dummy, but why is it so important. It will not come with one, but I will ask anyway.

I think I'm gonna go ahead with the purchase of the Montana 3440 HST. The unit I'm looking at is 2 years old. My dealer picked it up from Montana after another dealer went out of business. It has some fading on the plastic/rubber around the fenders, but I can live with that. The tractor is 34 hp with HST steering and tranny, 4wd with FEL and only 9 hours on it for $12,000 (with Montana's $2000 rebate going on as of July 1). It is being sold as "NEW" and comes with a 3 year warranty as well. The closest price I have gotten to that is a Kioti CK 35 HST for $16,000. I just don't think I can find a better tractor with all the options (standard on the Montanas) for this low of a price. I feel bad for the guy who was asking about the other 3440 HST on here who was quoted over $19k for his unit. I'll try to let you guys know what I think soon! Can't wait to get on it and go to work!

/ Montana 3440 HST 4wd with Loader #6  
WOW! $12K that is a great price! I looked at the Montana tractors before purchasing a used New Holland (30 hrs). I had decided to go with the Montana until I lucked up on a great deal on the TC35DA. I will be interested in seeing a couple of pictures of that tractor in your driveway!!:D

/ Montana 3440 HST 4wd with Loader #7  
wjr13 said:
Thanks for the advice on the grill guard. Not to be a dummy, but why is it so important. It will not come with one, but I will ask anyway.

Have you ever seen a tractor without the front end banged up?;) With a loader you are working with the front end, pushing brush, etc. All you need is one little stick to poke the grill.

In my case, I was pushing up a pile of snow, one chunk came loose and rolled back under the loader - the whole front grill was smashed off with less than 10 hours on the machine.:eek:

Your first investment for your new machine is a grill guard with screen and some overhead work lamps on the ROPS. the headlights don't do anything other than show you what color the back of your loader bucket is.:)

Finally got around to taking a picture to post on here. Front end still straight, but I guess I better go ahead and get a grill guard for it, just to be safe.

/ Montana 3440 HST 4wd with Loader #9  
I have a 3440 Montana.. I bought it broken and rebuilt it.
It is a 2006 model. The head dropped a Valve seat in middle cylinder and I found the seat beat into a million peaces... Had to replace head and piston/rings rod bearings. The head was another problem.. Montana dealers wanted $3500.00 for a head... yep that was a problem.. so I searched around.. did a lot of research on that motor.. I finally found a head, rebuilt... and it only cost me $425.00 including shipping... This head was from a kobota D1703 engine. I had to modify 4 things to make it work, but all the holes lined up and it is now working flawlessly... My opinion was they had to modify it in several ways to get their own patent... but it works.. and works well. be sure to use a quality head gasket when putting it back.. I had to pull it down and replace the first gasket I ordered because it leaked. I have a small problem with diesel leaking but that is because of a damaged over flow line between the injectors. Just need to get another one. The modifications were rather simple. One was that I had to enlarge the guide hole in the head to fit the guide pin coming out of the block...mearly drilling to the correct size. Next, I had to purchase a valve cover for the new head because the old one was bolted on by 3 bolts and the new head required the cover to be bolted on with 8 or so bolts around the outside of the cover. Found the cover on ebay used... $80.00 with seal. Next was I had to cut off the bolts that originally went up thru the old valve cover and I then welded the nuts on so I could use the old studs that held the rockers on.. Lastly.. once I got it all together and was about to put oil in it... I found there was no place to put the oil back into the engine....????? so I had to remove the valve cover, cut my old one up and modified the new one using the old OIL INPUT plug and threads.. I cut the new valve coverto fit the cut out oil plug and threads that i cut off the old cover.. and JB welded them to gether...Now I have a way to put the oil in the engine again... Perfecto.. It runs like a champ now. Love this tractor. I am planning to put a bradco backhoe attachment on it... It will need heavy bracing under the tractor for a backhoe but I will build that as needed. Good luck to all you DIY guys.. What I need now and can not find is a schematic for the Montana 3440.. It is the same tractor as the LS 330 or the Farmtrac330.. If anyone has one.. Please notify me.. I am willing to help anyone who needs help on a modification like I did...it wasnt hard, just took some time... Thanks and I hope this info may help another owner of the Montana 3440 Tractor...

Upon taking the head in to be checked I found a crack in the head right into the valve seat... Maybe it got hot and cracked or maybe someone put cold water in it while hot... not sure but that is a weakness in these engines I was told. Mine was the middle cylinder of this 3 cylinder engine ....34 hp, 165a made in Korea.

the parts are rather difficult to find but not impossible. Good luck.

/ Montana 3440 HST 4wd with Loader #10  
Anyone with an electrical Schematic for the Montana 3440, the Farmtrac 330, or the LS 330, I would appreciate a copy.. It seems this is a rarity..... Parts books etc are findable but this little schematic has been like pulling hens teeth... Just cant seem to find it.. thanks in advance....