I'm done with Montana!

/ I'm done with Montana! #11  
Mighty particular fella he is. Makes you question that old saying about the customer being right all the time. Maybe the other green tractor would be a better fit, I hear their parts are much reasonably priced.:D

John

/ I'm done with Montana! #12  
montanaman said:
Thanks for this post, it brightened my day!

I just did a 50 hour service on a machine and I am the bad guy because it took two extra days. The customer had crushed the hyd suction pipe and as soon as I saw it, I got one on order. I gave him the part for cost plus shipping and I did not charge him to install the part or for transportation of the tractor. I guess I should have paid him for working on his tractor??

Usually when I have a customer tell me how they like to deal with me and will bash another dealer that is hard to get along with, I just explain that the other guy has been doing this longer than me. It can really wear you down if you let it!!

I am not a huge dealer but you would be amazed at how few Montana parts I sell and I sure don't have a hood hinge in stock!! Also, as has been pointed out by others, Montana parts are very well priced as compared to most brands.

As for shipping, I deal with one company that charges a $25 drop ship charge if I need a part sent directly to a customer. Freight is up on everything and there are also handling fees in there too. I think to expect someone to buy boxes and pay people to run a parts department and not have a handling fee on shipping is crazy. They can do it that way, but all of the parts prices will just go up to cover it!

Ken
You're welcome.
I think you are right by not lending yourself to the customers agenda when they start slamming other dealers. They may have legitimate complains or may be malcontents but either way, they need to understand that owning/operating a business is a huge challenge and try as we might it is impossible to satisfy everyone.
The most disappointing thing about owning a business for me is the time tested truth that you can not always treat people the way you want to be treated. Too often, giving "extras" does not lead to a satisfied customer but one that will take advantage of you in a heart beat and one that becomes discontent and unrealistic and begins to believe you OWE them whatever they could possibly want.
Good luck with your dealership and keep your head up, it sounds like you are doing things right!

/ I'm done with Montana! #13  
Most parts depts maintain an inventory to basically satisfy their walkin customer's needs. Mostly consumables, like belts, hoses, filters, etc. A hood hinge is certainly not something most places would carry in stock--unless there were a long history of hood hinge failures. Plastic fuel tanks are the norm nowdays, and even on the bigger tractors, with 2 tanks slung underneath, protection is minimal or nonexistant. There is a big difference in today's tractors and those from the 40s, 50's 60's, but even then, an ag type tractor just came with the basics. If a customer is going to use an ag tractor in the woods, it is up to him to provide belly guards, and brush guards.

Getting parts in 2 days. Not gonna happen more often than it does happen. For instance, for Kubota, if they happen to have it in Dallas, then probably will happen IF the order goes in before 2 or 3pm CST. After that, the order will be filled the next day. If not in Dallas, then the next closest distribution point is in Georgia. Then Calif. Then Japan. Most stuff comes out of Ga, but more often than not, it is the shipping company that causes the gridlock--not the manufactorer. FedEx and UPS have cut back, trying to save fuel costs.

/ I'm done with Montana! #14  
Perhaps Maka and or Montanaman,. both dealers, should figure out the replacement parts for a tractor, What I am getting at is my in laws were Chrysler-Dodge dealers over 50 years,, They got into this argument more than once,,, One time, they got so mad they took a regular 4 door volare, remember these jems', and took every single part number and cost them out,, This took several months by the way and quite a few employees to boot, and this was done PRIOR to computers of today. The Volare that cost them 7 grand, had a sticker of 8 grand, was $48,000 grand in replacement parts,, Not a misprint, I would bet a 5740 cab tractor that would sell, and I am throwing out a wild guess,, of 28 thousand would have a parts replacement cost of near one hundred thousand now a days,, Therefore,, the 15.00 dollar hinge would not be stocked..

/ I'm done with Montana! #15  
It's the same with everything. For example,the carb. on my friends boat needed a seat under the floats.called around,the part would be a few days to ship. Bought a whole carb. rebuilding kit for the one part[ marina had kit in stock]. Lost wiper arm assembly on highway truck last winter,had to swap good wiper to driver's side windshield, got replacement arm a week later at the dealer. Even my local auto parts doesn't seem to carry as much as years past,they can usually get it at the warehouse if you call in am,or it's next day around 2 pm. I'm not complaining as long as part doesn't keep vehicle from running,that's just the way it is. plowking

/ I'm done with Montana! #16  
It's known as Just In Time (jit) inventory control. Retailers have to pay taxes on inventory each year, so they opt not to keep as large an inventory as they did in the past, relying instead on ups etc to get them the required parts in a few days. Welcome to the new way of doing business in America.

/ I'm done with Montana! #17  
clfalpacas,
I won't bash you for being upset. Sometimes it is irritating when any type of dealer doesn't have or can't do what we want, right when we want it. I had to learn to calm down. And after some mild medication, I did.

I also saw some words to apply to these situations. They came straight off of a biker's helmet, you know one of those with the spike in the middle. And I quote: Dont' sweat the petty, pet the sweaty.

Kind of says it all, doesn't it.:D

/ I'm done with Montana! #18  
I am happy to be happy! I believe Mr. CEO is a little over the top on his expectations. I wonder if he is even monitoring these responses...

/ I'm done with Montana! #19  
I gotta say I'm in agreement with everyone else here, and it's nice to see that we all feel these are very petty problems for such a harsh letter.

Putting a hole in a gas tank is just one of those things that happens. It will happen to any brand, and even if it's not the gas tank, a branch can take out just about anything. My dozer has some very thick plates on the bottom of it, and small pines have worked there way through the gaps, up along the engine and taken out my oil sending unit. Oil went everywhere!!!! I had another stick work it 's way through the pans and go through my oil pan.

It's not Montana's fault, it's mother nature fighting back. Getting made at the people who make the tractor aint' gonna stop her from doing it again and again, no matter what brand you buy.

Pricing is going to hurt no matter who you buy it from either. It's just the price we have to pay to play.

Ten bucks to have them ship the hinge to you is really nitpicking. If I wanted you to send me something that size, would you honestly do it for under five bucks? Put in in a package, write down my address and get it in the mail? Are you saying that your time is worth nothing? or is it that the person who takes the time to package your hinge should work for free? Five bucks sure sounds cheap to add to what you claim to be five dollars in postage. If I could get parts where it only cost me ten bucks, I'd be very happy.

But the all time greatest line is telling your wife to call and complain to the company about yout tractor. That's just a classic. I wonder how many guys here can get their wives to do this for them? I know that mine will tell me to get off my but and call them myself if I even thought of something like that.

Just by including that in your letter, you drop down from silly to rediculous.

Will you tell your wife to write a mean reply back to me or others are here because you are not happy with us? hahahahahaha

I don't own a Montana, nor do I ever plan to buy one. But if all you have against them is what you've listed in your complaint letter after owning it for "a couple of years" then I'd say you have one heck of a tractor!!!!

Eddie

/ I'm done with Montana! #20  
I agree with the others as well, if the tractor was giving you problem after problem with things breaking or failing by defects from Montana then this letter would be appropiate. But basically you had one very minor problem that was not your fault that I know of and it is a $15 fix. After all the time you owned the tractor your first major tractor fault is a $15 problem. I will be honest, your post has made me "want" to buy a Montana and I am sure it has had the same effect on others. I am sure the Montana people will appreciate your post and letter.

You really do need to take things less seriously. I stopped worrying so much and started enjoying life more. Best of luck to you but I suggest if you are not happy with this experience you should not buy any other tractor because they all will eventually break down and I doubt any brand is going to be able to keep you happy with your current attitude.