I'm done with Montana!

/ I'm done with Montana! #1  

clfalpacas

Tractor
5740C w FEL
Below is a letter I'm sending to Ted Wade at Montana. My next machine will NOT be a Montana.

Montana Tractors
Attn: Mr. Ted Wade, Vice ChairmAN
4635 N Thompson
Springdale, AR 72764

July 18, 2008

Re: Poor management & deficient customer service

Dear Mr. Wade,

I leased a Montana 5740 a couple of years ago and had been generally pleased with it until recently. The old views of poor customer service after the sale being the key to future success seem to have been lost on your team.

About a year back, I had to replace a fuel tank when the front tire picked up a 1 diameter stick in a pasture and punctured the tank. Better design might have better protected the tank from such a hazard. The replacement, in addition to being overpriced for a plastic tank, also had a small leak in it just below the filler neck. I wasn稚 impressed, but I sealed the leak and moved on.

Yesterday, while cutting grass, one of the hood hinges snapped. Plastic parts in high vibration areas will do that, I suppose. But the ultimate insult came when I contacted a dealer about a replacement hinge. I was called back and told the price of the hinge was $5.00 but that I would have to pay $10.00 to have the thing shipped to either the dealer or to my home. Moreover, it was going to be next week before the part arrived. For a part that can be sent via US mail (priority post flat rate) for about $4.80, I must assume that Montana is in such dire financial straights that it must soak its customers for every dollar possible including outrageous shipping on parts that SHOULD be on hand at a stocking dealer! I must also assume that Montana isn稚 terribly interested in quick response to their customer痴 needs.

The final blow came later today when I asked my wife to contact someone on the management team at Montana by phone to discuss these matters. She was told that no one was available to take the call. She left her number and was told that someone would call us back shortly. True to recent poor management form, no call was received.

I致e personally directed at least 5 people to Montana to consider their next tractor purchase. I know of two who actually did buy Montana machines. That level of support is now ended. I知 more inclined to do everything possible to direct people away from your company because of your poor customer support. After being promised owner痴 manuals that are readable and a multitude of hype about Montana growth and customer service, I知 thoroughly disenchanted. I値l surely consider ANY tractor on the market EXCEPT Montana for my next acquisition, and will make that fact known to as many agricultural buyers as I can.

Sincerely,

Kevin J. Wray, President
CLF Ranch
Elk County Kanasas

/ I'm done with Montana! #2  
IMHO, I think your letter and complaints are kind of harsh considering these issues. A stick pokes a hole in the fuel tank and blame Montana. Have you seen the fuel tanks on $200,000 tractors? Not the most impressive protection either. My fuel tank on my JD 3720 sits right over the rear tire. Mishaps happen and this doesn't seem to be a chronic complaint with Montana tractors.

A hinge breaks and they want to charge you shipping? When I get either JD or Case-IH parts that are not in stock, shipping is added on if I want it now. Otherwise there is no shipping if they get it with normal delivery. Usually takes a few days. I always get charged shipping if it is sent to my address if sent directly from the dealer or manufacture. I would not expect a dealer to keep an item like a hinge in stock. Probably don't sell one/year.

Your wife called 1 time (today) and didn't get called back. I agree that is not the greatest customer service, but it is not like she left messages several times or was spoken to harshly. Are you going to apologize to them if they call you back tomorrow?

Sincerely,

ME, CEO
No Name Ranch
USA

/ I'm done with Montana! #3  
So $15.00 total cost for a hinge? Most dealers would have told you that it's $75 and they will place it on the next stock order which arrives in 2 weeks. And nobody can stock everything. That and the other couple minor issues are nothing to get this upset over. Just price ANY hinge for any other tractor out there. Can you get anything from any other dealer for 15 bucks? As a business owner, any of my customers will tell you that I treat them better than family. However, if I get a letter like this, I place it in the circular file and say, "Whatever." I seriously doubt someone that high up the food chain in Montana would even receive your letter in the first place. It may make it to a field rep, maybe.

/ I'm done with Montana! #4  
If the tractor is only a couple years old is nothing under warrenty? It sounds like you paid to get the tank replaces as you said it was overpriced. But the hinge seems like a minor issue to be upset about. The price seems cheap also, even with the shipping. I had to replace the hinge on my garden tractor hood and it cost me $80 2 years ago.
To me it sounds more like a dealer issue, but I might be mistaken. My dealer would have taken a part off of a tractor on his lot and given it to me if I wanted it in a hurry (he did this for the rear window hinge on my tractor). Then he would order a replacement and eat the cost for shipping as he would be ordering other things also.
Most dealer these days are not stocking as many parts as they use to especially a part that they might sell one a year if that.
I personally woudn't get upset over these little things. And make comments as you are about telling others not to buy Montanas. I have walked into dealers of all different brands and have gotten mad for them not helping me the way I want. i just walk out and go to te next dealer and they will give me the shirt off there backs.
If I were you contact a different dealer if you arent happy and id that dont help wait a couple weeks for the part and get ocer it. There are many other things to worry about more important that a $15 hinge.

/ I'm done with Montana! #5  
The complaint seems rather harsh considering the item and cost involved.

/ I'm done with Montana! #6  
After being "generally pleased" for "a couple of years", how can a $15 part send you over the top??????

My Mahindra is going on 5 years old. last year I had to buy a $500.00 alternator, the dealer did not have it in stock. No big deal, ordered, recieved and installed (by me). I am still very pleased.

/ I'm done with Montana! #7  
Honestly, I think the others are being reserved when saying the letter is a little harsh.
This is an example of why I left sales after 19 years to work at a prison....because it is much easier and less frustrating to deal with a general dirtbag than it is to deal with the general public...and that is not an exaggeration.
If I were Montana I would tell you the same thing I tell my tenants with similar attitudes and expectations after I have already treated them more than fairly:
" Thank you for your patronage but there is obviously a misunderstanding. You have assumed that by renting from me you would be moving into "a perfect world". "Perfect worlds" do not exist but an example closer to your expectations costs about 3X's what you are currently paying. I'll be glad to give you a list of property owners in the area that lease property in that price range. Just as a reminder, when you move out please leave the apartment clean and orderly or the cost to do so will be deducted from the deposit".

/ I'm done with Montana! #8  
Kernopelli said:
Honestly, I think the others are being reserved when saying the letter is a little harsh.
This is an example of why I left sales after 19 years to work at a prison....because it is much easier and less frustrating to deal with a general dirtbag than it is to deal with the general public...and that is not an exaggeration.
If I were Montana I would tell you the same thing I tell my tenants with similar attitudes and expectations after I have already treated them more than fairly:
" Thank you for your patronage but there is obviously a misunderstanding. You have assumed that by renting from me you would be moving into "a perfect world". "Perfect worlds" do not exist but an example closer to your expectations costs about 3X's what you are currently paying. I'll be glad to give you a list of property owners in the area that lease property in that price range. Just as a reminder, when you move out please leave the apartment clean and orderly or the cost to do so will be deducted from the deposit".

Thanks for this post, it brightened my day!

I just did a 50 hour service on a machine and I am the bad guy because it took two extra days. The customer had crushed the hyd suction pipe and as soon as I saw it, I got one on order. I gave him the part for cost plus shipping and I did not charge him to install the part or for transportation of the tractor. I guess I should have paid him for working on his tractor??

Usually when I have a customer tell me how they like to deal with me and will bash another dealer that is hard to get along with, I just explain that the other guy has been doing this longer than me. It can really wear you down if you let it!!

I am not a huge dealer but you would be amazed at how few Montana parts I sell and I sure don't have a hood hinge in stock!! Also, as has been pointed out by others, Montana parts are very well priced as compared to most brands.

As for shipping, I deal with one company that charges a $25 drop ship charge if I need a part sent directly to a customer. Freight is up on everything and there are also handling fees in there too. I think to expect someone to buy boxes and pay people to run a parts department and not have a handling fee on shipping is crazy. They can do it that way, but all of the parts prices will just go up to cover it!

Ken

/ I'm done with Montana! #9  
Way over the top on that letter and as I have learned there are some customers you just don't want as a customer.

Montana is better off without customers like you.

Bob

/ I'm done with Montana! #10  
Yeah...this guy needs to put himself on the other side of the fence...