Ballast Wide stance and filling tires

/ Wide stance and filling tires #1  

skipro3

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana 4344
I've heard rumors that the Montana rear tires can be mounted with a wider stance. Can any one elaborate on that? I want all the stability I can get but unsure how to go about this wide stance thing.

Also, can an owner such as myself fill my tires with fluid? How would I go about doing it and how full do they need to be? I would think that I would need to jack up the tractor to get the tire off the ground, bleed off the air, thn add the fluid. I've read that other tractor owners and brands fill to about 75% of th space or volume fo the tire, then cap off with air. Would that be right?

Thanks!

/ Wide stance and filling tires #2  
I'm not familiar with all the Montana models, so I don't know if all of them can be moved. Mine(T7074 thread) was delivered from the dealer with the dishes in the rear flipped and the tires on the front moved out to the other side of the spacer to give it a uniform track front and rear. The rear tires are loaded. If yours has the 2 piece rims you can move them with a minimal amount of trouble(if they are not filled, if they are they are Heavy). I have never filled a tire myself, but the equipment should be available at a TSC or a farm supply.
The way mine is set up it is about 4" wider per side and it could be set out wider if I desired.

/ Wide stance and filling tires #3  
I got my tire fill valve at NAPA. As you stated, I jacked the tractor up, let the air out, placed the valve stem at about 1:00 o-clock so I filled just over the top of the wheel, then finished with air. Good Luck

I did not notice where you live, We only get light freezes so I put 1 gal of Seirra anti-freeze in each tire.

/ Wide stance and filling tires
Checking my 2 piece rims, I see the dish set is faced outward so I guess I am on the "WIDE" setting.

Anyone got a part # for the NAPA filler valve thingy? Also a photo? I've got steep property and can do with all the help I can keeping me alive while playing on my tractor.

/ Wide stance and filling tires #5  
That is the wide setting for the dish. The tires can be bolted on the front or the back side of the dish. Set on the outside of the dish is 2" to 3" inches wider per side than the inside setting.

Thanks!

I finally decided to look in the owner's manual. There are SIX ways to set your wheel width!!! Yes! With rims and centers as well as needing to change the directional tire if you go with a combination that causes you to mount the tire backwards, the different widths in mm are;
That is 43.15 inches all the way to 53.23 inches.

So who has the NAPA part # for filling the tires? Or another source if NAPA part isn't available?

Thanks!!

/ Wide stance and filling tires #7  
Hey SKIPRO The valve is listed as "Napa Tire Hardware 90-234, TR-CH1. Hope that helps.

Thanks! Ordered on-line. Now I gotta go get some anti-freeze.. or make my own! Ha! Maybe some Apple Jack.

/ Wide stance and filling tires #9  
skipro3 said:
Thanks!

I finally decided to look in the owner's manual. There are SIX ways to set your wheel width!!! Yes! With rims and centers as well as needing to change the directional tire if you go with a combination that causes you to mount the tire backwards, the different widths in mm are;
That is 43.15 inches all the way to 53.23 inches.

So who has the NAPA part # for filling the tires? Or another source if NAPA part isn't available?
Thanks!!
There is no combination that requires that you change a directional tire, but some may in up with the valve on the inside to get the direction right.
larry

That may be right, but who's gonna want the valve stem on the inside of the rim? The manual only states:

NOTICE
>When adjusting the breadth, pay attention to the direction of tire lug.
>If it shows "/\" shape when looked behind, it is 'normal'.

I can't see how I could fill the tire with water/anti-freeze if the valve needs to be at the top and it's on the inside. Well, I guess I could fill it off the tractor then install it, but I bet that's one heavy tire to be trying to get on the studs.