FEL "strange sound" question

/ FEL "strange sound" question #1  

Unclebuck257

Platinum Member
Tractor
2005 Montana 5740C
About two weeks ago, I changed the oil and oil filter in my 5740C while at my buddy's place, while we also did his 4 tractors. I had been having a small hydraulic leak in one of the 3 hydraulic lines metal connectors coming off of that metal box looking deal under the right side step that has the 3 hydraulic lines that go to the FEL and we decided to fix it at that time too. It turned out to be a bad rubber "O" ring in the middle line connector so we replaced it, put the connector back together and it all worked fine, with no more leaks. We then checked and added hydraulic fluid to my system to make up for what had leaked out due to that drip, over time. Anyhow, about a day or so later after pasture mowing with no problems at all, I went and spiked a large round bale with the FEL spike, for my cattle. On the way from where I store the hay to where I put it out for them, I noticed that during turning the steering wheel and also during moving the FEL spike, with the bale on it, up or down slightly, I'm getting an intermediate sound kind of like you get when you turn the power steering in your vehicle too far in one direction. The sound doesn't last, is off and on when it is happening and it also doesn't occur other than when I have a round bale on the FEL spike. I've checked and the hydraulic fluid is as high as it can go on my dipstick. Any thoughts? I didn't occur before at all.

/ FEL "strange sound" question #2  
Sounds like air in the system to me, on a car you might nhave to cycle the steering from stop to stop many times, on a tractor i'm not sure (yet)

/ FEL "strange sound" question #3  
I believe this may be your problem. On the rear of your tractor, you have 3 compartments to fill the hydralic fluid. I learned this from my dealer. I made this same mistake. My dipstick was low, so I added fluid to the hole right next to the dipstick. The dipstick never moved. You have to add hydraulic oil right under the windshield. There is a breather cover almost for it. This will fill your center hydraulic area and move the dipstick. On the rear end you have the fill hole and the overflow hole for each individual side. Check and see. You probablly filled the right side overful like I did.

ScottFarm

/ FEL "strange sound" question
I believe this may be your problem. On the rear of your tractor, you have 3 compartments to fill the hydralic fluid. I learned this from my dealer. I made this same mistake. My dipstick was low, so I added fluid to the hole right next to the dipstick. The dipstick never moved. You have to add hydraulic oil right under the windshield. There is a breather cover almost for it. This will fill your center hydraulic area and move the dipstick. On the rear end you have the fill hole and the overflow hole for each individual side. Check and see. You probablly filled the right side overful like I did.

ScottFarm

Scott,

I put the hydraulic fluid in the hole that the dipstick comes out of when you pull it out, in the back. I'll check and see what you're talking about.

/ FEL "strange sound" question #5  
Hi, I agree it is air in the pump and hoses. Just lift the loader as high as it can and let the valve dump by the bypass. Do the same with the tilt cylinders a few times and hold for a few seconds. Run them both to either extream travel. That will purge the air from the lines and pump. You have to do this whenever you open a closed hyd. system and inject air. It may take several times of doing this but will work. Important to get the air out, because it will have the effect of cavitating the pump over the long run. Oh it is much quicker to add the oil at the pipe next to the lower window, where the breather tube plugs into. About a one inch hole compared to the small dip stick hole. Just be sure to pull the dip stick to avoid the oil spitting back at you. This vents the rear to let the extra air from what the oil displaces escape. Hope this helps you all.
Jim T.

Thanks, I really appreciate all this info.

/ FEL "strange sound" question #7  
Did you figure out what was causing your noise? Let us know when you do.

Scott,

I had to go out of town for a few days and go visit my 94 yr old mother. I just got back in town and I haven't gotten it done yet, but I will let you know. I am very appreciative of your answers and I will definitely let you know. Thank you!

Scott,

I did check and did what you were saying to do. Apparently that was the problem because when I was moving some round bales to make room for some new ones, there was no more noise. Thank you again and I really appreciated your responses.

/ FEL "strange sound" question #10  
I'm glad that fixed it. After reading my above comments I wasn't sure I explained it well. You basically have 3 sections and 3 places to add fluid. On the right side you have the fill hole and then the overflow hole that you fill it too. Then you also have the same set up on the left side. The dipstick seems to only check the center compartment. Just make sure you didn't overfill either side by opening the overflow nuts. If nothing flows out fill it up till it does.