5740C will it handle a 15' batwing??

/ 5740C will it handle a 15' batwing?? #1  

NetworkMD

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana 5740C
Hello all. I annually mow about 150 ac of basically flat farm ground that is in CRP primarly fescue, previously we have used the JD 4430 but we had our 5740C this year and used it to pull a 8 foot 3pt HD cutter, it handles the 8 foot with no problems at all, the engine and drive train does not even seem to strain at all with this cutter.

I have a chance to pick up a 2 year old hold over 15' batwing medum duty cutter pull type that is rated to require 50-160HP, as easily as the Montana handeled the 8' I believe it will not have a problem with the 15' I am interested in any comments from you especially if you have pulled this size cutter?? The 5740 is much easier on fuel than our other larger tractors, we ran the 5740 most of two days and just a little over 10gal refilled the tank.

Thank you

/ 5740C will it handle a 15' batwing?? #2  
There is a large difference in hp between those tractors. The mahindra has about 45 pto hp and the Jd 125 pto hp. Will depend somewhat how tall or thick the grass and how fast you can go. The mahindra maybe in for a struggle. JD also weighs near 10,000 lbs and the mahindra closer to 6500 lbs. I used to have a JD 5300 which is near the size of the mahindra. I wouldn't consider it for any significant use on a 15' batwing mower. My 5300 easily handled an 8' rhino mower. IMHO, there is a big difference between an 8' vs 15' mower.

/ 5740C will it handle a 15' batwing?? #3  
Network,

I sure wouldn't want to depend on the 5740C handling that batwing. As you know, I too have a 5740C and use an 8 footer HD Brush Hog with it all the time, with no problems. The PTO output is 52HP at the PTO and I just don't believe that's near enough HP to efficiently use that 15' batwing and do any kind of a decent job, IF it would even start the job at all.

/ 5740C will it handle a 15' batwing?? #4  
The only time i've seen a tractor that size use a 15' bat wing is at my uncles farm and he mows a 150 acre yard with it. It works, but there is little resistence from 8" high soft yard grass compared to a field of fescue up to your waist.

Will they let you test it before you purchase it?

/ 5740C will it handle a 15' batwing??
Thanks for the updates, looks like we will keep the 8 footer for the 5740 I do not want to overload the tractor.

/ 5740C will it handle a 15' batwing?? #6  
I have been pulling a medium duty 15' Rhino for the last few days with my T7074. I handles the batwing fine in weeds on grazed land. I has to work pretty hard when you hit a good patch of bermuda though. I have been cutting those area's a couple of inches higher and a gear slower and been doing fine. CRP land would really give your tractor a workout with a batwing. IMO