Montana Tractor Roll Call

/ Montana Tractor Roll Call #1  

JDeerekid

Platinum Member
Tractor
Montana 4340C w/Loader, JD GX345 w/54in. mower
I figured that we can give everyone and update on all of our tractors:)
And of course pictures would be appreciated:D

Model tractor owned - 4340C
Date tractor purchased - 2/27/08
How many hours on tractor - 180+
Reason you bought - Wanted larger tractor for snow removal, bush hogging, and property maintainance.
Projects done with tractor - Snow moved, bush hogged land for neighbor and self, plowed, tilled, and planted 5 acres sweet corn and put in a large garden. Moved logs and firewood for winter. And many on going projects moving dirt and such.
What implements you are using - Loader, Horst 48" Front Forks, 6' bush hog, 7' Woods rear blade, 6' KK Tiller, Ferguson 2-bottom plow, KK 6 1/2' 3pt. discs, 3pt. cultivator, 2 JD 4-row planters, Ford post hole digger, 5' york rake, 78" AgorTrend rear snowblower
Future Attachments/Implements - Front Grapple, Backhoe, Front Blade, Finish Mower
Problems with tractor - Day after they dropped it off I noticed left rear hinge on the rear window was broke and the flasher for the 4-ways was bad. Replaced under warrenty 2 days later. About a month later and injector line was loose, just had to tighten.
Would you buy another Montana - Yes

Attachments

• IMG_0124 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0124 [800x600].JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,051
  • IMG_0342 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0342 [800x600].JPG
    140 KB · Views: 652
  • planting [800x600].jpg
    planting [800x600].jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 888
  • IMG_0290 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0290 [800x600].JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,341
   / Montana Tractor Roll Call #2  
Model tractor owned - 4344HST
Date tractor purchased - 8/27/08
How many hours on tractor - 60+
Reason you bought - Wanted a tractor for driveway repair, bush hogging, and playing---errrr working!.
Projects done with tractor - Brush hogged some roads on a friends property, cleaned up metal from slew, mowed the pasture, hogged and cleaned out the slew od blackberry's.
What implements you are using - Loader, 4' bush hog, 6' rear blade with tines, new 72" box blade (as of today)
Future Attachments/Implements - Front Grapple, Backhoe, tiller,
Problems with tractor - switch mislabeled, couldn't start it. brush hog gearbox had no oil
Would you buy another Montana - Yes!

Attachments

• CIMG1434 (Medium).JPG
    CIMG1434 (Medium).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,347
  • CIMG1500.jpg
    CIMG1500.jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 2,250
   / Montana Tractor Roll Call #3  
Sackett2,
Interesting blade! What is it? Are the teeth mounted upside down - shouldn't they point toward the tractor when they are swung down?

My machine: 3940HST
Dec 2007
113 hours
Bought it because my old machine did not have a loader; snow removal... general homeowner stuff.
Implements: snowblower, hog, homemade rear blade, PHD, FEL forks, homemade grill guard
Future: Homemade cab, homemade conversion from Montana quick attach to skid steer, homemade grapple
Problems: 2wd to 4wd sticker is upside down:rolleyes:, recent problems with cold starting (unresolved). Busted plastic grill with snowball - no grill guard and only 4 hours on machine:eek:.

I modified the fender mounts to extend them out one inch on each side (widen operator platform).

Would i buy again? Definitely! Maybe go a little bigger (just because, no good reason):cool:

Attachments

• Rear blade (Large).jpg
    Rear blade (Large).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 2,904
  • Fork lift3 (Large).jpg
    Fork lift3 (Large).jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,060
Last edited:
   / Montana Tractor Roll Call #4  
"recent problems with cold starting (unresolved). Busted plastic grill with snowball"

Tell me about the cold start problem. Glow plug light working?

Snowball? I am guessing you are talking about snow coming over the loader bucket/blade. There is a grill guard available.

Tim

/ Montana Tractor Roll Call #5  
Sackett2,
Interesting blade! What is it? Are the teeth mounted upside down - shouldn't they point toward the tractor when they are swung down?

This blade has several features that drew me to it.
1-The ability to offset it left or right to the tractor.
2- the rippers- loosen the BIG WINGNUT and spin the blade 180 degrees, pop the rippers down. I haven't tried much driveway ripping but it worked great as a sub-soiler in the garden. I'm thinking of using it if I till peoples garden plot for the first time.
3- In the future, other attachments such as a box blade and landscape rake are to become available for it, so unbolt the blade and put other attachments on.
I think I paid 500 for the blade

/ Montana Tractor Roll Call #6  
Sorry no pictures yet.. I'll work on some.

Purchased : Fall 2006 5740C with FEL
Hrs: 200+
Small Hereford Cattle Farm
Equipment: Krone 125 round baler (bale 200-300 round bales), Krone disk mower 8', junky howse bush hog, two bottom plows and misc. small pieces of equipment.

So far I really love my Montana. Getting ready to subsoil in next few weeks, just because I need a reason to ride...

Problems: cab shutter, (missing washer) dealer fixed under warranty. No other problems.

Would I purchase again... Most definatly

/ Montana Tractor Roll Call #7  
"recent problems with cold starting (unresolved). Busted plastic grill with snowball"

Tell me about the cold start problem. Glow plug light working?

Snowball? I am guessing you are talking about snow coming over the loader bucket/blade. There is a grill guard available.

Tim

I was lifting a big snowball for the kids to make a snowman and the damned thing rolled back under the loader and took the grill out. I replaced the plastic parts and made my own grill (see pic with forks on). I asked dealer if it should have had a grill guard with the loader but they said no - recommended I make one rather than spend $.

Cold starting problem: Fuel lines bled, filter clean, no fuel leaks. Glow plugs work, voltage drop measured from 8.5V initial, rising to 10.5 when timer shuts them off (appears ok). GP timer on for about 8-10 seconds. At 5 degrees C I have to crank for about 6 or more seconds to start. Engine runs perfectly, no visible exhaust, lots of power and very smooth. No problems hogging at rated rpm (i.e. not starving).

I have the Mitsubishi service manual. The only thinks I can think of is possible IP problems? I had scheduled it to go to the dealer for service but it has been averaging 17 degrees C here this week and it starts relatively quick.

The starting problem has been getting increasingly worse over the summer; this almost sounds like the glow plugs are done? I now have 113 hours on the machine.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Montana Tractor Roll Call #8  
I've got a 5740C w/FEL that I bought in Feb 2005. Right now, it's got 300 plus hours on it. I use my tractor for mowing our pastures, my neighbors pastures, moving large round bales, doing dirt work around our place, and generally whatever else is needed.

/ Montana Tractor Roll Call #9  
Model tractor owned - R4344
Date tractor purchased - not sure... a year and half or two ago?
How many hours on tractor - 299+
Reason you bought - wanted a good tractor for bush hawgin', pasture mowing, light grading, and FEL work. also plan on new fence for a new 3 acre pasture.
Projects done with tractor - rocks moved, pasture mowed, new pasture graded and debris cleared, road grading, misc FEL work, road pen dug out, filled with proper footing and graded, dressage ring graded, and many other thing i can't remember...
What implements you are using - Loader, Howse 6' hawg, 6' box blade and have a fiberglass sun shade over the platform.
Future Attachments/Implements - forks for FEL, 3 pt post hole auger.
Problems with tractor - rear axle makes noise when i "throw the anchor" with one of the rear brakes applied (still unresolved), way more tractor than i need (i love it).
Would you buy another Montana - YES!

DSCF0005.JPG

/ Montana Tractor Roll Call #10  
Model tractor owned - R3644

Date tractor purchased - May 2008
How many hours on tractor - 75

Reason you bought - Wanted larger tractor for tree removal, bush hogging, tilling and property maintanance.

Projects done with tractor - removed 60 trees with tractor and grapple on bucket. Tilled 1 acres and put in some lawn, leveled many areas on my property, moved 4 loads of topsoil and many on going projects.

What implements you are using - Loader, 5' Howse bush hog, 6' Box blade, 5' JD rear blade, 6' KK Tiller, and put on a grapple on the front bucket.

Future Attachments/Implements - Backhoe ?

Problems with tractor - Broke a casting wher the front tie rod attatches to the right front wheel, and broke both stabilizers for the 3 point hitch. Both were replaced under warrenty

Would you buy another Montana - Yes, most definitely