Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP

/ Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP #1  

JDeerekid

Platinum Member
Tractor
Montana 4340C w/Loader, JD GX345 w/54in. mower
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp:eek::confused:

Up till now I haven't had a problem with my tractor but now it will not start. It is arould 20 degrees out maybe a little colder and I went out to start it cause it is my snow plow machine and it started right up fine. I let it run to warm up about 15 minutes all was good. I plowed for about 20 minutes and the tractor shut right down like someone turn the key off. The main thing that wsa worrying me was I was right in the middle of the road without any warning lights or anything:eek::(. Luckily I was still on the dead end road plowing driveways and very little traffic if any. Anyway I let it sit for about 5 minutes as I was walking around the machine making sure everything was fine and then jumped back in and tried to turn it over and nothing. I wiggle the key for a couple seconds and it started to turn over but would not start. After a couple minutes of messing around it finally started and I finished plowing the last few driveways I had to do and came home and parked it in the garage. I shut it off and tried to start it again and all it will do is turn over but it will not take off. This is a big problem because right now this is all I have to plow with.

Now I was thinking that it might be a fuel problem but I do use power service and double dosed it. But can there still be moisture in the fuel causing a problem???

Another thought is the key switch. has anyone else had or heard of a problem with it??? Sometimes when I turn the key on nothing happens.

Sorry for such a long post but this is my primary money maker and snow removal machine and I do not have a backup right now so this is kind of urgent to get fixed.

I tried to call the dealer but they must of left early as the weather is kind of nasty here night now with all the snow.

Thanks ahead of time.

/ Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP #2  
I am by no means mechanically talented ... Just maybe blowing snow, the air cleaner/breather is sucking in the moisture? Maybe in cold weather the side grills and maybe even the front need to be covered ???

/ Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP #3  
since diesels are simple machines the first thing i can think of is fuel as you said. do these thins have water separators like my truck does. second the switch is most likely a simple on off on sw meter it out.

/ Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP
Thanks blueriver I was thinking that also but it looks dry around the breather and I had never had a problem with that before but will keep an eye on to it maybe it is sucking in moisture. I did have a gas swinger loader at work that use to suck in moisture through the air cleaner and would ice up the carberator, could this be similar on a deisiel???

Thanks shakin that was the first thing that I was thinking of also. The tractor does was a water seperator. If replacing the switch doesnt work and replacing the fuel filter doesnt work I will have to meter it out.

I got a hold of my dealer on his cell and he believes it might be the switch. He said that he had to replace one for a guy 2 years ago doing the same thing. Also he said that I should change the fuel filter as it might have gotten some moisture in the fuel. He also said to unplug the wire that is on the bottom of the water seperator as it has an electric water seperator and I guess that bypasses something??? I did get it started again( lets hope it will start in the morning), but it took a little cranking to do so. I have a feeling the switch is messed up but it might be a combination of both. I am going up to the dealer in the morning after I get done plowing to get a new fuel filter and a switch and talk to him a little more to see what he thinks.

If anyone else has anything to add I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

/ Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP #5  
I am curious when you turn the key switch to the on position (not start just on) does the light come on saying that your glow plugs is on ?

I am curious when you turn the key switch to the on position (not start just on) does the light come on saying that your glow plugs is on ?

Yes and no. The first time I tried it after it quit it did not. Nothing came on. Now every couple of times I turn the key it comes on along with the oil and battery light then instantly shuts off. They usually stay on for a couple seconds before I turn the key to start it.

/ Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP #7  
Yes and no. The first time I tried it after it quit it did not. Nothing came on. Now every couple of times I turn the key it comes on along with the oil and battery light then instantly shuts off. They usually stay on for a couple seconds before I turn the key to start it.

Ok if it is coming on and then going off immediately you will probably have trouble starting your montana. In cold weather without the glow plugs working it will be hard starting if it starts at all. Typically and I am just guessing at the number here. One of the dealers will probably be able to tell you better. In around 30 degree weather I am thinking my glow plugs stay on at least 30 seconds to possibly a minute. I am just guessing at that number though but it does not go off immediately. It is sounding more and more like you might have a key switch problem at least initially.

Ok if it is coming on and then going off immediately you will probably have trouble starting your montana. In cold weather without the glow plugs working it will be hard starting if it starts at all. Typically and I am just guessing at the number here. One of the dealers will probably be able to tell you better. In around 30 degree weather I am thinking my glow plugs stay on at least 30 seconds to possibly a minute. I am just guessing at that number though but it does not go off immediately. It is sounding more and more like you might have a key switch problem at least initially.

Before today the glow plugs have worked fine. I turn the key and they stay on for around 20-30 seconds then the light goes out and I start the tractor. I am positive that this is not a glow plug issue it is and electrical issue that I hope is located in the switch. If the switch is not staying on The fuel pump is probably not working so it will not start. I hope that is it because as I said before I plow driveways out with it for a job and without it I cant make any money. I am going to see my dealer tomorrow and he is going to give me a switch to replace the mine and I will get a fuel filter also to change that as their might be water or something in it.

has anyone changed their fuel filter and can tell me proper procedures to do so.

Thanks for all the responses and I will post my findings tomorrow.

Went out this morning and tried to start the tractor turned the key the glow plugs came on and shut off after about 20 seconds or so. Went to turn the key to start and it turned over and wanted to start but as soon as I let go of the key it shut off. So I ruled it out to be the switch. Went up to my dealer swaped out switch under warrenty and put the new one in and she took right off. Must have been some kind of detent in the switch that wasnt allowing the key to stay on. Well off to go plow. Thanks for all the help.

Oh the the dealer said this was only the second switch he had to replace. He had one guy last year or the year before have one fail in the middle of summer and one that he had to replace as someone jammed a screw driver into it to get it to start. Other than that no other issues.

/ Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP #10  
I'm glad you found your fix. I know that from time to time with my 4940C, the electric starter will come on even when the engine is running and has been running. Its crazy, you can be mowing or dirt working and then all of a sudden you'll hear the starter come on and start to grind. I havent found out why this happening, but I do know when it happens I'll turn the key to the start position and then release it and it will quit trying to start. I bet I have a bad switch also.