hydraulic fluid specs?

/ hydraulic fluid specs? #1  

rollachzhead

Tractor
Montana 4940
I own a 4940 (love it!) and the owners manual (hate it!) specs out SAE 80W oil for the hydraulics/transmission. That doesn't sound like the right fluid for a hydraulic system.

Can anyone either confirm that the amnual is correct or suggest what they have used?

thanks

/ hydraulic fluid specs? #2  
Doesn't sound correct to me either. I can see a 80W gear oil in gear transmission, rear and hubs but not a hydraulic system. If I'm not mistaken the 4940 has a Synchro Shuttle transmission and wet brakes.

/ hydraulic fluid specs? #3  
I own a 4940 (love it!) and the owners manual (hate it!) specs out SAE 80W oil for the hydraulics/transmission. That doesn't sound like the right fluid for a hydraulic system.

Can anyone either confirm that the amnual is correct or suggest what they have used?

thanks

SAE 80W just means the oil has to have that viscosity characteristic. Some of the old GL-1 oils were 80W and 90W but they probably aren't what your tractor needs. This is a question to ask your Montana dealer or Montana themselves. They should really specify an oil spec and the brands that meet that spec. I would think that JD, NH, MF etc transhydraulic oils will meet the Montana spec but that's for Montana to confirm.

Last edited:
   / hydraulic fluid specs? #4  

thanks

Hey Rolla Cheez head. Are you from Rolla and are you a wisconsonnite? I thought there was only one of me?

I'm in Rolla and am a wiconsonnite and Have a Montana 3644!

Anyway I just changed my fluids and I had the same question. What you need is conventional combination Hydrualic/transmission Fluid. I ended up gettingmine from the family center as they had 2.5 gallon jugs which were easier to handle and get in the transmission.

It takes a bunch. Mine used 7.5 gallons as I remember.

/ hydraulic fluid specs?
Hi JackMentink;

Yes I have to confess to being a Wisconsin native. Born and lived the first 26 years of my life in the Dairy State and have lived the last 21 years in Rolla, Mo (with a 4 year stay in Nebraska sandwiched in between).

I did end up going to the local Montana dealer (Tim's Motors) and asked them what was up with the owner's manual instructions. They siad it was an error (no surprise to me, considering how poorly the rest of the book is translated from Korean to English). They said I should do what you mentioned and what i suspected, to use a hydraulic fluid suited for tractor transmissions.

I needed 10 gallons m/l of hydro fluid. The Family Center here in Rolla sells it in 5 gallon pails for $37.00.

Thanks

BTW Own a 4940 and have had no complaints with the tractor; just wish Montana would re-issue the owner's manual.

/ hydraulic fluid specs? #6  
I bought mine from Diomond R equipment in Freeburg as he gave me a better deal on the tractor. Every time I talked to Tim's he didn't give me very good pricing. Anyway I have a 3644 and love it. I live east of town off of 10th Street on Vineyard drive. Where are you at?

I bought the 2.5 gallon jugs (orange ones) from the family as the location to but in the hydrualic fluid was not real accessible and I wasn't sure how easy I could put the 5 gallon buckets in the tractor. I learned that from another post here on TBN.

/ hydraulic fluid specs? #7  
The spec is for 80W HYDRAULIC fluid, not 80W GEAR. I was confused by the same thing until i noticed it. Can't imagine it would run very well on gear oil in the HST :eek:

/ hydraulic fluid specs? #8  
Ok, I'm confused now and I'm in the lubricants industry. What is a 80W hydraulic fluid? Hydraulic fluids are measured in ISO viscosity. Having the "W" after the 80 makes it sound like their using a SAE viscosity rating which is either SAE gear oil viscosity ratings or SAE engine oil viscosity ratings. There is no such thing as a SAE 80W hydraulic oil, maybe a ISO 68 or ISO 100 hydraulic oil. I would be tempted to contact the manufacturer and get the actual requirements of the fluid at cSt 40 deg. C/SUS 100 deg. F and cSt 100 deg. C/SUS 210 deg. F. Knowing these temperature/viscosity requirements would let you know for sure what the correct fluid viscosity is.

/ hydraulic fluid specs? #9  
Sorry the 'W' part was my mistake, should have been SAE. I have attached the lubricant spec for my 3940HST.
View attachment SMT1007_REV_1.pdf

The table gives the same "SAE 80" spec for both gear and hyd oils. I believe that the SAE 80 exists for both fluid types but obviously that are quite different. Is this not true?

/ hydraulic fluid specs? #10  
I am a newbie tractor owner and I Have A U4384 Montana Tractor. Can I Use KUbota Udt Universal Trans Hydraulic Fluid. In my transmission?

Last edited: