I broke it today!

/ I broke it today! #1  

skipro3

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana 4344
Well, I finally found the weakest link to my Montana 4344HST tractor. It's the upper point on my 3 point. It's one of those that have the float feature. I busted off the stud that the upper part of the hitch attaches to. I'll post photos, but just wanted to quickly ask if anyone else has busted the top stud off their 3PT. Also, the whole plate, mounted to the tractor with 4 bolts is bent as well. The upper part above the upper two bolts to where the stud was mounted is bent. It isn't bent much but considering how thick that piece of steel is, I thought it was amazing. My dealer ordered a new plate, but I think I'm going to drill out the weld that held that stud on and then thread the plate at 3/4" and use a 8 grade bolt to replace the stud. Any thoughts?

/ I broke it today! #2  
Mine isn't a Montana but a ford and I 'yanked' the top plate which has four bolts right off.I too bought another from the dealer $75.
I used the old one for an implement. but anyways after seeing some of the posts on her of a broke casting, I am more cautious Id rather have the bolts or plate give way (like a shear pin) than have it so strong it breaks a casting.
Sorry Ive searched a bit to find the posts with the damage but cant find the right search words.I know the casting was really bad Hope this helps you.

/ I broke it today! #3  
Just curious what implement you were using when it broke?

/ I broke it today! #4  
My dealer ordered a new plate, but I think I'm going to drill out the weld that held that stud on and then thread the plate at 3/4" and use a 8 grade bolt to replace the stud. Any thoughts?

Just a thought, but I'd think real hard about what's next in line to bust if you over-engineer the low cost part that broke! I might have been the "weak link" for a reason!

/ I broke it today! #5  
My dealer ordered a new plate, but I think I'm going to drill out the weld that held that stud on and then thread the plate at 3/4" and use a 8 grade bolt to replace the stud. Any thoughts?

Just a thought, but I'd think real hard about what's next in line to bust if you over-engineer the low cost part that broke! It might have been the "weak link" for a reason!

/ I broke it today!
I knew someone would ask what implement I was using. It was a backhoe. In rock. Well, it didn't break there. A couple days later, I was shuttling gravel to a creek drainage, driving on a smooth gravel road when I heard/felt a CLUNK! and looked behind me to see my backhoe tipped and dragging along on the two lower hitch points. Obviously I got lucky not breaking down in the rock pile I was leveling out for a barn pad. All I had to do was lift it back up with the outrigger legs, slap a chain around it, then lift the legs and drive it all of 50 feet back to the garage and set it down so I could get back to hauling gravel.

I did notice how "light" the rear now was with a full bucket of gravel. The rear tires, filled with water, were spinning kind of easy on turns. I miss my counter weight backhoe!

I kinda think that, yes! That is the weak link for a reason. I'm going to just straighten back out the plate and weld back on the stud; not tap it, and keep it as a spare for when I break the replacement. Which I will, I'm sure! Ha! Or maybe go ahead and tap that hole at 3/4" but use a lighter grade bolt than a grade 8. Maybe start with a grade 3 and see how it holds up... Thanks for the suggestions and tip montanaman and JDeerekid.

/ I broke it today! #7  
I knew someone would ask what implement I was using. It was a backhoe. In rock. Well, it didn't break there. A couple days later, I was shuttling gravel to a creek drainage, driving on a smooth gravel road when I heard/felt a CLUNK! and looked behind me to see my backhoe tipped and dragging along on the two lower hitch points. Obviously I got lucky not breaking down in the rock pile I was leveling out for a barn pad. All I had to do was lift it back up with the outrigger legs, slap a chain around it, then lift the legs and drive it all of 50 feet back to the garage and set it down so I could get back to hauling gravel.

I did notice how "light" the rear now was with a full bucket of gravel. The rear tires, filled with water, were spinning kind of easy on turns. I miss my counter weight backhoe!

I kinda think that, yes! That is the weak link for a reason. I'm going to just straighten back out the plate and weld back on the stud; not tap it, and keep it as a spare for when I break the replacement. Which I will, I'm sure! Ha! Or maybe go ahead and tap that hole at 3/4" but use a lighter grade bolt than a grade 8. Maybe start with a grade 3 and see how it holds up... Thanks for the suggestions and tip montanaman and JDeerekid.

Yea I kind of figured that is was your backhoe:rolleyes:. I just know you had a good comparison in another thread that 3pt mount backhoes are just as good as subframe mounts and there was little proof of 3pt mounts causing damage to the tractor. I guess you got your proof.

Don't take it as I am rubbing it in or being a jerk becuase I am not. It is just ironic that it did break.

Is Montana going to cover it under warrenty becuase they installed it? And do post pictures please.

I was close to buying 3pt mout backhoe as I found a good used one on craigslist but I think I will wait and get a subframe mount in the future.

Hope it doesnt break again in the future.

/ I broke it today!
Montana dealer is sending me a new plate. I'll take photos tomorrow and post them for your amusement. Ha!

Please don't base my use on normal use. I have rock mortared together with a small amount of dirt. I mean big rocks too. I've posted photos of me using the FEL moving them. Imagine digging those out of the ground. And also on a slope to boot.

I think I could still get a frame mount for my hoe. For some reason I didn't think the hoe was either exclusively 3PT or Frame mount but could go either way with some hardware changeouts.

I'm not too worried about breaking the tractor due to the warranty coverage and not needing to make a living with it.