Oil & Fuel Another diesel leak in my 5740's fuel tank

/ Another diesel leak in my 5740's fuel tank #1  

Unclebuck257

Platinum Member
Tractor
2005 Montana 5740C
As some of you know, on July 8, 2008, just about exactly a year ago, I repaired a leak in the fuel tank on my 2005 5740C. It was the standard reason these plastic fuel tanks begin leaking on the 5740Cs, in that the molded plastic tank has molded into them the place where the screws holding the protection plate and support structure are screwed into on the tank itself. Now, after I returned from a month out of town, with no one driving or even starting my tractor, I find a big diesel mark on my barn floor again, and after checking in the light, the diesel tank is definitely leaking (dripping) again from the corner of its support structure. This is getting old real quickly for me!

Last time we took some good apoxy, after draining the tank and removing many support screws, and filled in that molded screw hole along with the one half inch crack out from it, and there were no more leaks for the past year.

I haven't drained the fuel tank yet this time, nor have I checked closely yet to see which screwhole is leaking this time yet either. Any ideas from anyone on fixing it?

I guess my other questions are..What is the cost of a new fuel tank from Montana..Anyone know? And does anyone know IF a metal equivilant is made anywhere to replace it too?

/ Another diesel leak in my 5740's fuel tank #2  
I had the same problem as you only I compounded the problem. I had my tank shields off putting every kind of sealer I could find on the molded nuts to stop the seepage. My son had an emergency and I helped him out and I ended up driving a piece of rebar in the bottom and out the top just in front of the filler hole. We bought a plastic welder from Harbor Freight and modified it slightly and filled in the holes. We still used a plastic tank sealer from the auto parts place, even though it didn't say it was for fuel. It has held up for four months. I priced a tank from Dugan Brothers here in Florida and it was just under $400. By the way, they have sold several. I looked all over the net, but never could find a replacement. I will probably build one out of aluminum, before I spend $400. Hope this helps. This is a great tractor except for the tank and seat.

/ Another diesel leak in my 5740's fuel tank
Tack350,

Thank you for the info. I agree that before I spend $400.00 on a new plastic tank, I'll get a metal shop around here to make me one in aluminum. In the meantime, I may try some of that plastic sealer you mentioned. Thanks again.

/ Another diesel leak in my 5740's fuel tank #4  
Get a hold of your dealer and have them call Montana this will be a warranty if is a year to two years from date of delivery. the have come out with a revised tank

tractorbarry,

Thanks for that info, but my 5740C was bought in Feb 2005 and is beyond warranty. BUT, it's ALL PAID FOR now!! LOL!

I mowed a little more than half my pastures yesterday and the leak apparently got worse. Not sure if I can continue and finish mowing the way it is, but I'll check in about an hour and see. I was too tired yesterday evening to do anything but put a diesel can under where it drips to catch the diesel dripping.

Hopefully I can finish mowing my pastures before we get this cold front in here and it rains this Friday or Saturday, again hopefully. After that, I'm pulling the present factory tank off and having a welder make me one identical in shape to the plastic factory one on there now. Tractor will be down a week or so when I do that though. I'm real tired messing with this plastic piece of junk the factory put on it!

Well, I went out to see how my diesel tank leak was doing to see if I could mow the rest of my pastures and it was literally dripping like a siv. The one diesel can I had under one corner of the big drip spots was half full and there was at least another 2 gallons of diesel on the concrete floor of my barn. I decided that I better not attempt to do anything until I got the tank problem fixed. My brother in law and I pulled the tank and dumped about another 7 gallons of diesel into two five gallon cans. I then had a welder who lives out here come out and pick it up to use it as a model and make me one out of 3/16 inch steel, exactly like, shape wise, that plastic piece of junk. The cost will be about $600.00 instead of the $400.00 he initially told me on the phone because of all the cut ins and cut outs and that long thin portion of the tank he didn't expect to find. Dang!! those tanks look somewhat like a guitar case, with the long thin section that goes to the rear of the tractor!

Anyway, it's being made out of 3/16 inch steel so I won't need the guard pieces either, but I won't have it running again until at least Saturday to finish my mowing. The welder said he'd have the new tank back to me Friday evening.

An update on my new steel diesel tank. It took an additional day to get it and then when the welder delivered it to my place, we then decided that with the weight difference between the hard plastic and the steel, ( about 75 lbs) we'd better beef up the one main tank support that bolts to the frame. We welded a piece of steel down the center of the underneath of that original support piece for strength and then made another piece that fits on an angle from that, back to the frame itself, below where the original support piece bolts onto the frame. It too was made so it bolted onto the frame and bolted onto the support piece. It had to be made to bolt on because that original support piece cannot be put into place until the tank itself is back up in place. That original support piece is made to help hold the tank in place too. We held the new tank up initially while putting it in place with a floor jack on the front end and used the big U clamp in the rear for the old tank to hold up the back, "thin" end on the tank itself, but didn't tighten it down all the way at that point. Worked like a charm. Oh, and we lined the U clamp in the back and the original support piece with a heavy duty 3/8 inch black mat material I bought at Tractor supply for cushioning for sound and wear reduction now that the new tank is metal too.

/ Another diesel leak in my 5740's fuel tank #8  
Great news on the new tank!!! Now where are the pictures??? I have the 4340C and am worried everytime I get into a little brush or rough and bumpy field conditions that I will hurt the tank. A metal one seems like the key.

JDeerekid,

Ironically, I spoke to a Montana Factory Tech Rep this afternoon on the phone to get those A/C pressures I needed and he said the same thing regarding the new steel tank. Apparently, those hard plastic ones have been a nightmare for Montana and many many people are having all kinds of problems with them leaking like I did, and for the same reasons.

I'll get some pics of the finished deal, and those new support braces I mentioned, but in this Texas heat, all I wanted to do was get the thing installed and I didn't take any pics of the new tank before it was installed. You'll get a real good idea from the pics I do take now though.

/ Another diesel leak in my 5740's fuel tank #10  
An update on my new steel diesel tank. It took an additional day to get it and then when the welder delivered it to my place, we then decided that with the weight difference between the hard plastic and the steel, ( about 75 lbs) we'd better beef up the one main tank support that bolts to the frame. We welded a piece of steel down the center of the underneath of that original support piece for strength and then made another piece that fits on an angle from that, back to the frame itself, below where the original support piece bolts onto the frame. It too was made so it bolted onto the frame and bolted onto the support piece. It had to be made to bolt on because that original support piece cannot be put into place until the tank itself is back up in place. That original support piece is made to help hold the tank in place too. We held the new tank up initially while putting it in place with a floor jack on the front end and used the big U clamp in the rear for the old tank to hold up the back, "thin" end on the tank itself, but didn't tighten it down all the way at that point. Worked like a charm. Oh, and we lined the U clamp in the back and the original support piece with a heavy duty 3/8 inch black mat material I bought at Tractor supply for cushioning for sound and wear reduction now that the new tank is metal too.

I have a2006 model 5740C which I bought new from the dealer in Ocala Fl on July 13,2007. I have a farm and small Airport here in North Central Fl. I use the tractor mostly to mow the runway. After 254 hour the fuel tank started leaking at the famous front screws. I called the dealer and they said the price of a new tank would be $480 not including labor and transport fees. I call the rep in Arkansas and they have offered to only charge me 1/2 the cost of a new improved tank model. I guess that all I can do for now since my tractor is 2 months out of the 2 year warranty. Let me how you new steel tank works out, since I may have to go that route in the future.