New Montana 5740 questions

/ New Montana 5740 questions #11  
from happ
iam a new member. I have 70 ac farm, got 2008, 5740 this tractor is a money pit. I talked to dealers - or was dealers after I got it. now I know why they went out of business? by far the biggest problem was the gears, after I got the 5740 everything was great. but once I started to use it ---- the nice tractor when from great to bad money pits. the tractor repair person had to split my tractor in half to work on the gears ALL GEARS. thousands of dollars when to opening up the tractor , later he got on line and talked to dealers and they all agreed-- gears is the by far the down fall of the tractor. so many problems, it was an easy decision to go out of business. and they did.
after $5000.00 bill a year in a half ago my tractor has now lost its reverse. and the only way to fix it is to split the tractor in half again and fix again.

in my opinion is this tractor was designed for repeat down time so the company would always stay in business by selling more parts for break downs. but, there was so many complaints they when out of business.

/ New Montana 5740 questions #12  
happ,

Sorry to hear that you've had all those problems with your 5740. I bought one of the first 5740C's in North Texas back in 2005 and all in all, I can't say that I've had that much trouble with it. I've replaced that hard plastic fuel tank due to it getting busted up because of all the rocks around here (we live in the Barnett Shale) and replaced it with a custom made 3/8 inch steel one, but other than that I've had no major problems. Oh, the gears ( first thru fourth speed ) got jammed up and won't shift from time to time, but if you just take it slow during shifting that doesn't happen anymore. Otherwise, it's been basic routine things like leaking hydraulic fluid due to O ring being bad and oil changes etc. I've got 50 acres and use it on both my place and the daughter's 27 acres next door too. It gets pretty good and sometimes, hard, use so all in all I think it's done real well. Think you just got a lemon.

/ New Montana 5740 questions #13  
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your new purchase. :thumbsup:

I'm going to move your thread on over to our Montana section. :tractor: