New Montana 5740 questions

/ New Montana 5740 questions #1  

Sarge1951

Tractor
Montana 5740
This is a duplicate post under a more informative heading. Sorry 'bout the rookie mistake!

Good Morning. I am a new member to this board and, as of this weekend, a new Montana Tractor owner - 5740 with FEL. Thanks to all who posted before me. You helped me make the decision to purchase the Montana Brand.

My first question is: Now that I have the 5740 what, if any, quirks/problems should I be aware of so that I don't abuse or break it when it is delivered? The dealer only stated "Don't ride the clutch." and "Don't grind the shuttle shifter."

Anything else you experienced owners can add?

Thanks again for all the posts that helped me pick among the various tractors on the market.

Going for the Brush Hog 286 next.

/ New Montana 5740 questions #2  
Congrats on the new 5740 Sarge.

I have had my 5740 for a couple years now and can say that it is a tuff little tractor.

The only thing I can add is to always use the manual position verses auto for the PTO. The electric PTO clutch really engages hard so always keep the tractor at idle when engaging the PTO, and idle back down before disengaging the PTO.

The auto PTO position will disengage and engage every time you depress and release the clutch pedal or raise and lower the 3-point hitch. Seems to be hard on tractor and equipment especially when hooked to a Brush Hog.

Enjoy the new toy!

/ New Montana 5740 questions #3  
Funny. I stopped in to visit with my dealer the other day. I asked him the same question about and common things to look for on the 5740C. He had the same reply that your dealer gave - Don't grind the shuttle and easy on the clutch.

/ New Montana 5740 questions #4  
Sarge:
I have a 4940C which is very similar to you 5740. I have almost 300 hours on it and it is almost 4 years old. In fact mine reads LG Montana on it.
The only problems I have had:

Everybody's favourite gas tank leak.
Plastic seat restraits broke. I remade them out of aluminum bar stock.
Cup holder broke twice.
Bad welds on the draw bar mount (which broke as a result).
Right side radion speaker went out.
One minor leak in the hydraulics at the coupler box. Wrench fixed that.

My tractor is a dream to drive and use. And believe me I use it hard. It just keeps coming back for more.

As you can see my problems have been annoyances not problems.

Keep it well greased.....don't ride the clutch use the lower gears.

You will enjoy it for many years.

/ New Montana 5740 questions #5  
My 2007 5740C as 125 hours.
Love it. Broke one of the loader attachment handles, and the roof hatch cylinders. The Titan tires are cracking badly up front, and a bit on the back.That's it.
Have used to blow snow, install post holes, drag real big logs, move them with the grapple, brush cut.
The next project for it building are building a sauna and a tractor garage.

/ New Montana 5740 questions #6  
Will hit 1300 HRs next week, some minor problems, some caused by myself, some just equipment failures, overall satisified with price versus quality. Break more implements than tractor parts. Commercial Use, Run it very hard at times

/ New Montana 5740 questions #7  
is the montana 5740c ( 2007 ) a tractor that would do well as a weekend warrior on our 10 ac. wanna b farm ? please be frank about its limitations ..should i sign on the line ...or decline ...

/ New Montana 5740 questions #8  
I've got a 2740 on 6 acres and have punished it so far. Brush clearing, road maintenance, dirt moving, etc. So far it's a workhorse.

/ New Montana 5740 questions #9  
Sandy727

I've had my 5740C since 2005 and I'd say it depends on what your buying price will be. Oh, it's a great tractor and tough as nails but, since they don't make them anymore, there could be some issues with repairs and parts. What year model is the one you're buying? What type of front end loader does it have on it because they changed them up from one kind to another. How many hours are on it? I'll check in tomorrow for your answer.

/ New Montana 5740 questions #10  
is the montana 5740c ( 2007 ) a tractor that would do well as a weekend warrior on our 10 ac. wanna b farm ? please be frank about its limitations ..should i sign on the line ...or decline ...
it's spec's are close to my LS 5030 it's been good to me over the pass 3 years. You should be able to get parts through LS Tractors they are the Company that made it.