Tractor
    Montana 5740

Default New Montana 5740 questions

This is a duplicate post under a more informative heading. Sorry 'bout the rookie mistake!

Good Morning. I am a new member to this board and, as of this weekend, a new Montana Tractor owner - 5740 with FEL. Thanks to all who posted before me. You helped me make the decision to purchase the Montana Brand.

My first question is: Now that I have the 5740 what, if any, quirks/problems should I be aware of so that I don't abuse or break it when it is delivered? The dealer only stated "Don't ride the clutch." and "Don't grind the shuttle shifter."

Anything else you experienced owners can add?

Thanks again for all the posts that helped me pick among the various tractors on the market.

Going for the Brush Hog 286 next.

Tractor
    2005 Montana 5740 w FEL

Default Re: New Montana 5740 questions

Congrats on the new 5740 Sarge.

I have had my 5740 for a couple years now and can say that it is a tuff little tractor.

The only thing I can add is to always use the manual position verses auto for the PTO. The electric PTO clutch really engages hard so always keep the tractor at idle when engaging the PTO, and idle back down before disengaging the PTO.

The auto PTO position will disengage and engage every time you depress and release the clutch pedal or raise and lower the 3-point hitch. Seems to be hard on tractor and equipment especially when hooked to a Brush Hog.

Enjoy the new toy!
    If it ain't a BOEING, I ain't a going!

Tractor
    2007 Montana 5740C and 1942 Farmall Model M - Wide Front

Funny. I stopped in to visit with my dealer the other day. I asked him the same question about and common things to look for on the 5740C. He had the same reply that your dealer gave - Don't grind the shuttle and easy on the clutch.
    Eric

Berthoud, CO

Tractor
    Montana 4940C, FEL, Quick change 3 point factory hitch, pallet forks, grapple, 50 gal tank sprayer, Bush Hog PHD

Sarge:
    I have a 4940C which is very similar to you 5740. I have almost 300 hours on it and it is almost 4 years old. In fact mine reads LG Montana on it.
    The only problems I have had:

Everybody's favourite gas tank leak.
    Plastic seat restraits broke. I remade them out of aluminum bar stock.
    Cup holder broke twice.
    Bad welds on the draw bar mount (which broke as a result).
    Right side radion speaker went out.
    One minor leak in the hydraulics at the coupler box. Wrench fixed that.

My tractor is a dream to drive and use. And believe me I use it hard. It just keeps coming back for more.

As you can see my problems have been annoyances not problems.

Keep it well greased.....don't ride the clutch use the lower gears.

You will enjoy it for many years.

Tractor
    Montana 5740C

My 2007 5740C as 125 hours.
    Love it. Broke one of the loader attachment handles, and the roof hatch cylinders. The Titan tires are cracking badly up front, and a bit on the back.That's it.
    Have used to blow snow, install post holes, drag real big logs, move them with the grapple, brush cut.
    The next project for it building are building a sauna and a tractor garage.

Tractor
    Montana 5740 C

Will hit 1300 HRs next week, some minor problems, some caused by myself, some just equipment failures, overall satisified with price versus quality. Break more implements than tractor parts. Commercial Use, Run it very hard at times