3-Point Hitch Hydraulic Top Link Question

/ Hydraulic Top Link Question #1  

Woodsman30350

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 3040
I just installed a new hydraulic top link cylinder from CCM Machinery on my 3040 today. I purchased the cylinder and the hose kit with poppet valves from them.

My tractor configuration per the manual is as follows: 4 remotes labeled from top left facing rear of the tractor and going clockwise. Push, Pull, Trailer, Trailer. The manual says the top two are double acting and the bottom two are double/single acting. I hooked up the cylinder lines to the top two and have the selection knob set on "double". The cylinder is activated by the inside lever. Is this normal or should I used the outside lever. Also, when the lever is pushed forward (toward the front of the tractor) the cylinder pushes out and when pushed toward the rear, the cylinder pulls in. It seems it should be the other way around.

My questions are: 1) Should the top link be activated from the inboard lever or the outboard? 2) Should the retract or pull in when the lever is pushed toward the front of the tractor? This seems more intuitive.

/ Hydraulic Top Link Question #2  
I just installed a new hydraulic top link cylinder from CCM Machinery on my 3040 today. I purchased the cylinder and the hose kit with poppet valves from them.

My tractor configuration per the manual is as follows: 4 remotes labeled from top left facing rear of the tractor and going clockwise. Push, Pull, Trailer, Trailer. The manual says the top two are double acting and the bottom two are double/single acting. I hooked up the cylinder lines to the top two and have the selection knob set on "double". The cylinder is activated by the inside lever. Is this normal or should I used the outside lever. Also, when the lever is pushed forward (toward the front of the tractor) the cylinder pushes out and when pushed toward the rear, the cylinder pulls in. It seems it should be the other way around.

My questions are: 1) Should the top link be activated from the inboard lever or the outboard? 2) Should the retract or pull in when the lever is pushed toward the front of the tractor? This seems more intuitive.

I hooked mine to the bottom remotes and reversed them like you suggested, it just naturally felt better to remember. I have been operating like that for about 300 hours with out problems. FYI I have the surplus center cylinder with out check valves.

/ Hydraulic Top Link Question
DL - Do you use the outboard lever or inboard lever? Thanks for the input.

/ Hydraulic Top Link Question #4  
DL - Do you use the outboard lever or inboard lever? Thanks for the input.

The outboard lever, I dont think it matters for double acting, both sets work fine. The inboard would be single acting cylinders like on a dump trailer or to provide hydraulic fluid to a device with its own valve, like a wood splitter.

/ Hydraulic Top Link Question #5  
I played with mine, decided on the outboard, up to extend. It doesn't matter, your the one who has tom learn it.
BTW, You will love it, and if you figure out a way to hold it when not connected to a attachment, send a picture

/ Hydraulic Top Link Question #6  
Dallas Lilly,
You mentioned you have a surplus center cylinder. Do you mean a toplink cylinder? I am interested if you do.
Can you pm me with details?

Thanks.
Glenn.