Disengage 4 wheel drive

/ Disengage 4 wheel drive #1  

Hornnumb2

Ok got my 2740 in 4 wheel drive and now can't get to come out, Any special tricks? Thanks Michael

/ Disengage 4 wheel drive #2  
Have you tried taking it out while in reverse? Ken Sweet

/ Disengage 4 wheel drive #3  
My 3040 wont go in or out without being in motion. It was real stiff for the first 100 hours, now with 600 hours it goes in and out with ease.

/ Disengage 4 wheel drive #4  
A few tricks up my sleeve, first lubricate, the shaft where it goes through the housing with a good quality penatrating oil. Let it soak for a while and hit it again. That should cut the rust that has formed around it. The lever should free up enough to move back and forth. Use a good quality lube oil on it and all the pivot points, wouldn't be a bad idea. I was told at service school that the oring groove was installed on the shaft to far in not allowing tranny fluid to lubricate the shaft pivot point Alot of other companies are having the same issues. Trac

/ Disengage 4 wheel drive #5  
Are you on a hard surface such as pavement or concrete? I find it much easier to get in and out of MFWD when on more giving surfaces.

/ Disengage 4 wheel drive #6  
You probably have some tension in the drive train. This is there most of the time when youre in 4wd and will resist your effort on the lever to disengage. As said, if you stopped while moving forward, backing up slowly while operating the lever should work since the tension will go thru a neutral condition very soon after reversing direction. What works for me is driving forward in a medium speed gear, then flooring it for a second -- and then letting off while operating the lever. [The transition from power to engine braking helps bring on a neutral tension.]
larry

/ Disengage 4 wheel drive #7  
I believe that everything that can about be said for helping out has been said and it took only 5 posts.

Great job people! :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work.

Now, what's next. World hunger, we ought to have that solved in under a hundred posts or so. :D:laughing:

/ Disengage 4 wheel drive #8  
What I would do is push it in then pull it out, then do it over and over again. If that don't work take a break and drink a few beers. Then start over

/ Disengage 4 wheel drive #9  
I have a 5740 that comes out much easier if I lift the front of the tractor with the loader. Give it a try.

/ Disengage 4 wheel drive #10  
I've done the loader trick before with my 5740C and it does work. It takes all the load off the front drive and lets the gears unmesh easier. But most of the time I just put it in reverse and back up a foot or two. Then push in the clutch and pull the FWD lever out. That works 99% of the time. I also think a little lube and some break in goes a long way too!