5740 Sync Shuttle

/ 5740 Sync Shuttle #1  

TXCoastMontana

Tractor
Montana 5740
I am looking for all tractor owners that have had a problem with the sync shuttle transmission. For the second time, mine has gone out. First time was in 2008 with 75 hrs on it. Now 10/2010 280 hrs for the second time the sync shuttle has quit. $380 in parts to fix, and $2800 in labor.

My 5740 is a 2006 model with a cab. Something is wrong, it should not happen twice in 200 hrs difference. I have contacted my dealer, and they have done three sync shuttle repairs. I have found three more on this site. I want to know if this is a problem.

I have sent an email to Bob Goltz, don't know if he is till there, and sent a message to Montana's site. I am waiting for a reply.

/ 5740 Sync Shuttle #2  
Have a 5740 C. No shuttle problems. Think it is an '05 model. Have a little oil leak issue right now, from the engine, maybe a filter gasket, maybe not. Passed 1600 Hrs. May have some issues with the clutch. (electric engage ) but have shifted this tranny, foward to reverse, on a 35 degree slope, for two to three hours at a stretch, without any problem, with a 6' brush hog. Also mow with a boom flail with a 10' reach, which is a lot of back and forth if I'm working one side of the road. Was under the tractor this morning, maybe look for tranny pins missing? Found a few under mine. Sidey

/ 5740 Sync Shuttle #3  
My 5740 just lost reverse gear with 217 hours on it (84 hours since I got it). Dealer said he has never heard of this happening in a Montana.

/ 5740 Sync Shuttle #4  
We had a customer bring in a branson tractor once with shuttle problems, bent forks, said he didn't think you had to use the clutch when shifting between forward and reverse. I have also had many customer on the lot who do not understand the mechanical shuttle used in most tractors requires use of the clutch. I just mention this in the outiside chance it might be applicable. I am not suggesting that it is, but if not for those that have posted, maybe for someone reading this. Also not stopping between forward in reverse can put extra wear on the synchronizer rings, again just for those that might need to know, Most posters on here are pretty knowlegable and probably know this but I post for the one guy out there who may not.

/ 5740 Sync Shuttle #5  
We just bought a 5740 last week, love the tractor with the exception that it does jump out of the forward gear if you don't hold pressure on the shuttle shifter while letting off the fuel or clutching. I know nothing of its previous history. It has just a tick over 500 hrs on it now. I'm not looking forward to breaking it down to repair it. Does anyone know of any literature on this job. Thanks Chris

/ 5740 Sync Shuttle #6  
Having the same issue now with same year and model. Any idea what I about to spend?

/ 5740 Sync Shuttle #7  
My 4940C 2006 year model. Had to go back to Montana with only 75 hrs on it when it was still under the factory warranty. My tractor lost all ranges and the transmission was locked up. It had to be dragged up on a flat bed wrecker and hauled back to Montana in AR

/ 5740 Sync Shuttle #8  
We just bought a 5740 last week, love the tractor with the exception that it does jump out of the forward gear if you don't hold pressure on the shuttle shifter while letting off the fuel or clutching. I know nothing of its previous history. It has just a tick over 500 hrs on it now. I'm not looking forward to breaking it down to repair it. Does anyone know of any literature on this job. Thanks Chris
Mine does the same all I can find is bad reviews