Montana 5740c shuttle problems

/ Montana 5740c shuttle problems #1  

chrismc

Tractor
ford7700, john deere2940, massey255,245,
Hello to all. I have a Montana 5740c that will not stay in reverse. I am thinking it is a problem in the synchronizers. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Also I need to find a shop manual for it.

/ Montana 5740c shuttle problems #2  
You are aming in the right direction. Other problems we have found were the springs falling out of the neutral slider gear. We had one that developed excessive end play in the shaft. These tractors can be shifted from foward to neutral to reverse on the roll, as stated in the operator manuel, but we always advised customers to come to a complete stop before shifting. They will develop this type of problem alot quicker if you don't. Trac

/ Montana 5740c shuttle problems
Thanks trac for the input. Got the cab and the transmission top cover off today. Sure enough the reverse synchronizer gear's teeth is wore down. It appears that the shift fork does not slide back far enough to fully cover the teeth on the reverse gear. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Looks like the shift rail will not hold the fork far enough back to fully engage the reverse gear.

Thanks for the help.

/ Montana 5740c shuttle problems #4  
If the shift rail is engaging in the detents all the way, then the fork must be worn or bent. Trac

/ Montana 5740c shuttle problems #5  
I have a 5740 with 217 hours on it that was hauled away for repair yesterday because I lost reverse. It started by popping out of gear and then in a short time it wouldn't go into gear at all. The dealer said he had never heard of this in a Montana before.

/ Montana 5740c shuttle problems #6  
Take it from me, as this is the second time, my shuttle gear has been replaced. The design of the gear is bad. Tighten your clutch, so that when you press on it the internal gears stop moving then move it into forward or reverse. One grind of the gears going into forward or reverse, will start the disaster of replacing the shuttle gear. Montana knows this is a problem, LS tractors knows. I will be selling my tractor just as soon as I get it put back together, because I know it will happen again. My first happened at 75 hrs, the second 280 hrs. It is simply not cost effective to own a tractor in which the cab has to be removed every 200 hrs to replace the shuttle gear.

Any want to buy a 2006 Montana w FEL 5740 w/ 280 hrs. $18K and it is all yours.:laughing:

/ Montana 5740c shuttle problems #7  
does anyone know the cost of having this repair done? I have the same problem.

/ Montana 5740c shuttle problems #8  
this is happ, I lost the clutch 1 1/2 years ago. it cost me $5000.00 to fix. whoever dream up that you must split the tractor in half, is a fool

now my tractor lost its reverse and has the very same problems as athomp 's tractor did. to split the tractor in 1/2 again the bill will be $5000.00. so it is either fix it or junk it. does anyone know how to fix the tractor lest costly?
happ

/ Montana 5740c shuttle problems #9  
Hello to all. I have a Montana 5740c that will not stay in reverse. I am thinking it is a problem in the synchronizers. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Also I need to find a shop manual for it.

I got a used tractor.. When shifting from back to forwards it sometimes kicks out.. So, I wondered if the linkage was properly functioning....

Did anyone check the linkage shift rods on the right side above the fuel tank and the A/C pipes.... I saw that on my 2005 5740C LS Montana Tractor... that the linkage shift rod forward and reverse was very close to the insulated pipes for the AC unit.... I carefully bent down those AC
pipes just enough so the shift rod could clear the AC pipes easily.... Hope this takes care of it... Time will tell.

/ Montana 5740c shuttle problems #10  
Ive been thru the 3040 Montana transmission for the same problem reverse.
So what appears to be the problem here is engineering....TXCoastMontana has it right...
The reverse overshifter couplet....when it hits full detente....(meaning shifted in gear fully) when this couplet is shifted in it just barely slides over on the reverse gear. it roughly hangs on 1/8th the gear leaving the other 7/8th of the gear exposed and unused.
(all i can say to the engineers is boy what a frigging bran fart that was......of a design).

Soo moving forward......literally.....only do rough serious work with your Montana brand tractors in forward gears only.......your reverse gears only hang on by a RCH.