Sprung a leak, can someone offer advice?

/ Sprung a leak, can someone offer advice? #1  

skipro3

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana 4344
While shuttling dirt around today I heard a strange noise coming from the front right wheel area; it was a hydraulic leak on the pump. The pump is just below the alternator and is actually two pumps; a big one facing rear and a small one facing front. It's the front one that is leaking. The high pressure side is on the top and is a rubber type hose. It mates to the pump via a 45 degree nipple fitting that screws into the pump and the hose screws into it. This nipple is what is leaking, not at the base but further up and where I think it's not a threaded part but is molded or welded? I'll post a photo here:

4-20-11003.jpg
The screw points to the joint that is leaking under high pressure.

4-20-11004.jpg

This photo is zoomed out to show the location in relation to alternator, etc.

I think this smaller pump is for steering and also has something to do with the bucket. When I lift the bucket certain ways or steer to the left or right stop, that's when I hear the noise.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Last edited:
   / Sprung a leak, can someone offer advice?
Well, I found a website that has the part;
Montana 4344 Tractor and Montana 4944 tractor

However, they sure are fond of their parts and price them as if they were selling their own children. That little joint costs $30 shipped.

/ Sprung a leak, can someone offer advice? #3  
gonna have to bite the bullet and buy the part. A good Hydrolic shop MAY have the part, but you never realize how many variations there are until you need a specific one..

/ Sprung a leak, can someone offer advice? #4  
Can't tell for surefrom the picture but it looks like a 45 degree fitting. Some of these are forged and some are brazed assemblies. When you replace it check to make sure the hose does not pull on the fitting when it is under pressure. This will stress the fitting and potentially cause failures like you are describing.

Roy

/ Sprung a leak, can someone offer advice? #5  
What an odd place to have an leak. I'd take the fitting off and go to your local hydraulic shop and ask for a like for like part. chances are they can come up with something for you. It gotta be cheaper then 30 bucks.

/ Sprung a leak, can someone offer advice? #6  
Can't tell for surefrom the picture but it looks like a 45 degree fitting. Some of these are forged and some are brazed assemblies. When you replace it check to make sure the hose does not pull on the fitting when it is under pressure. This will stress the fitting and potentially cause failures like you are describing.

Roy

x 2....:thumbsup:

/ Sprung a leak, can someone offer advice? #7  
From the way the hose appears to be bent I think you should replace it with a 90 and let the hose lay down. It's probably the weight of the hose / pressure / vibration that caused the fitting to fail. You might need a couple of fittings to make a nice neat install or change the crimp end on the hose to a 90; that setup looks like a lousy design.

/ Sprung a leak, can someone offer advice? #8  
I think my 4944 has the same setup. If I am not mistaken the hoses have printed 3/8" on them which means they should be an sae thread (not sure) if they are sae you could probable get one at tractor supply I think I have seen some there in the past. If they are metric not so easy.

/ Sprung a leak, can someone offer advice?
First, thanks to everyone for their input and replies. Is this a great community or what?!

O.K., I took my photos down to the local tractor shop and they told me that the base nut has a steel washer between it and the pump. Then the curved part that comes up is a loose fit with a couple O rings. That way the angle can be positioned exactly where it needs to be to mate up with the hose and still be cranked down tight to the pump. That's also why it's leaking where it is; that shaft coming up out of the nut pivots and is sealed with O rings. Does that make sense? Hope so!!!
Anyway, I'm 4 truck/transfers into a project with 4 more trucks coming with dirt this weekend, so I'm leery to not mess with it until I'm though the rough placement for the dirt. If I'm lucky, all it is is an O ring or two leaking.

On a seemingly unrelated note, but not really;
I checked my tractor fluid dip stick and I was a gallon low. Not unexpected, it's got a leak afterall... I filled it up today and for some weird reason, the leak is barely there any more!! Now why would that be? Anyone run their Montana a gallon low? It didn't even read on the dip stick but less than a quart and it was wetted. A full gallon and it's right up almost to the second mark on the dip stick. I would guess one gallon is the difference between the low mark and the high mark.

And what's a tractor site without a photo of a tractor or two!! My ride. 2 more payments and I OWN it! Ha!

2011Landscaping0102.jpg

/ Sprung a leak, can someone offer advice? #10  
Skip,
is it just the O-ring that is leaking or has the fitting cracked?

Do you what brand or model of pump this is?

If BSPP port you may be able to tighten the lock nut.

Was the jam or lock nut loose? Don't go crazy with the wrench when tightening these either.