5740 Not wanting to go.

/ 5740 Not wanting to go. #1  

Shaw1865

Tractor
Montana 5740
We have a 05 or 06 5740 that lately doesn't want to go. You can gut it in gear and it will really slowly start going, but you have to give it alot of gas to get it going, but once its going, it goes fine until you stop. Does anyone know what might cause that? It only has 150 or so hours on it. Also, in revesre, it wont go unless it is in 1st gear.

Thanks

Bryan

/ 5740 Not wanting to go. #2  
Have you contacted your dealer about this??? I know it's out of warranty but you never know...

/ 5740 Not wanting to go.
No, I haven't, just found this site, so I was seeing if anybody might know what would cause that.

/ 5740 Not wanting to go. #4  
Their is a cork plug in the bottom of the clutch housing. Dig it out of there and if oil runs out, you have a slipping foot clutch with a leaky rear engine oil seal ( black oil runs out) They were a few around that would do it. If no oil runs out, we're proceed on.

Thanks, I will check that this weekend and see. I will let you know.

/ 5740 Not wanting to go. #6  
Shaw,

I couldn't answer your question because I had no idea what would cause that problem. I've got an 05 5740C, and have had it since it was new, but thankfully I've never had that problem. Looks like you're in good hands with trac though.

Ok I have no clue where the plug is at the only cork that I could find was near the top of the clutch housing and on the bottom side is a cotter key that sticks out the bottom don't know why it's there because it move up and down so where might this cork be I'm getting frustrated with this and need to get it fixed so I can bale some hay