A/C in the summer - does yours work?

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #11  
Most tractor manufactures evacuate the systems at the factory. If the system didn't have a vacumn when the dealer got to it, it already had a problem. This is what I have found over the years. trac

Yes, of course, but the OP stated that "Right after I bought it a few years ago a fitting broke on the A/C compressor" so I'm kinda assuming that the system was open to the atmosphere plus he also stated "the local dealer (who wasn't really a real tractor dealer and who quickly went out of business) repaired it and it never was really right after that". The fitting might have been repaired correctly but the recharging of the system apparently wasn't. Maybe the dealer's mechanics didn't have the proper equipment to evacuate and then recharge the system and just used one of the cheap DIY deals. I'm just saying it wouldn't hurt to mention that possibility to whomever the OP gets to work on his tractor's AC.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #12  
More than likely...they didnt evacuate the system or change the drier. If a system is open for any time...the drier should be changed. The drier is designed to absorb minute amounts of moisture as a back up to a complete evacuation (evacuation of moisture and non condensibles). If the system is open to the atmosphere, it doesnt take very long to saturate/ plug the dessicant. This will cause a restriction in the refrigerant flow.
Get it serviced by a competent technician!!!

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #13  
I live in Texas just east of Houston. My tractor see plenty of heat and humidity most times. I have a temp gauge stuck in one of the discharge vents and it will read out with the A/C on at 53 degrees once the cab and windows has cooled down. The low side reading on my compressor is 35 and on the high side it shows 230 most times. Tinting the windows made the best difference cooling the cab down.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #14  
hello, I'm new to this forum but am having issues with my montana 5784. did u have to remove the windows from the cab or could the tinting film be applied whike in the cab. I know u removed yours...was just wondering.

have you changed or modified the screen in anyway in the hood to smaller holed screen to help keep the condenser and radiator cleaner for longer periods of time? I find I usually have to blow out that area every 2 mowing sessions and sometimes more than that, any ideas??
Thanks, Poorly

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #15  
500 hours 5740C - My A/C really doesn't keep the cab cool in the summer time. I'm running it now with the doors off just to keep it bearable. My question is: Do any of you guys who live in hot climates have an A/C that actually keeps the cab cool in the heat of summer? Just curious to know if it's possible or if its one of those things that ain't going to happen.

Maybe my A/C needs to be re-charged. Right after I bought it a few years ago a fitting broke on the A/C compressor and the local dealer (who wasn't really a real tractor dealer and who quickly went out of business) repaired it and it never was really right after that. If you say that it will keep cool in summer then maybe I just need to get it re-charged.
jc..............hello......I have a 5784 montana and having a/c issues similiar to your issues. am wondering if you have been able to resolve your issues you posted nearly 1 year ago. if you did...what did it take to resolve them???
Thanks, Poorly

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #16  
poorly,

I have an 2005 5740C and I live in North Central Texas where it gets very hot in the summer months. I also personally can't handle heat very well, so functioning A/C is extremely important to me too. After my first three years of operation, I found that my tractor would heat up faster on the engine temp gauge in the summer than it did previously during those months. Let me be clear here in that I would always blow out my radiator and screen after I mowed, everytime, but I noticed I still had some build up in the radiator that I couldn't get out. I still do, but now before I do any work with the tractor that requires more than just spiking a round bale and bringing it down to the cows, like mowing my pastures that I'm going to be doing here in the next week or so, I blow out the screen, radiator, and filters every morning before I start and sometimes in midday too. My 5740C runs hotter than it did its first three years, but by doing this procedure, I find I can keep the A/C on while mowing the entire time (entire day) and not have the tractor overheat. Otherwise, the engine will overheat into the red and I'm done. It's he way it is and it avoids me having to take it to a non Montana dealer, since there is now no Montana dealer anywhere near me, and my potentially spending a bunch of money. Hope this helps you.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #17  
It was 96F yesterday with 85% humidity. I went and sprayed my 10 acre horse pasture with Hy-Dep

The cab was in the low 60F i would guess. I had to run it on lowest fan setting as i was getting chilled.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #18  
Let me be clear here in that I would always blow out my radiator and screen after I mowed, everytime, but I noticed I still had some build up in the radiator that I couldn't get out

Have you tried to wet down what is left over or built up and let it set so it loostens up and then try to blow it out? I am no expert on the subject but that seems like it could work, if the AC works when its not hot then if you could just get the build up out you should be ok or at least in theroy. You may have to do it several times but if it comes out it may be worth it.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #19  
I have found that the A/C condenser on my 4940C is sized too small. I blow out the condenser all the time and that helps the A/C a good bit. One thing I have noticed is that the high side pressure reading just off the discharge on the A/C compressor is running very high once the total A/C system gets hot. My pressure reading at a cold start up on the high side is 180# and the low side is 38. Now, once the tractor has been running and working for a few hours and with a clean condenser my pressure readings are 320# and 35. The high side pressure from what I have been told by a few different A/C tech all said my high side pressure readings are way too high thus causing heat build up in the A/C system and by doing so it reduces the cooling effect in the cab.

The factory condenser is too small to handle the heat load once things start to get hot and stay hot. Case in point, I ran a water hose over my condenser when the A/C system was hot and the high head pressure on the compressor went down, way down and the cab started to cool down very quickly. I have noticed that other off road equipment A/C systems has electric fans blowing on the condenser and also the condensers are much thicker. I'm going to buy a different condenser "thicker" one that will handle more heat load and see if that will help things. Keep in mind, my A/C works fine, but it could perform better and that's what I'm after.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #20  
I have found that the A/C condenser on my 4940C is sized too small. I blow out the condenser all the time and that helps the A/C a good bit. One thing I have noticed is that the high side pressure reading just off the discharge on the A/C compressor is running very high once the total A/C system gets hot. My pressure reading at a cold start up on the high side is 180# and the low side is 38. Now, once the tractor has been running and working for a few hours and with a clean condenser my pressure readings are 320# and 35. The high side pressure from what I have been told by a few different A/C tech all said my high side pressure readings are way too high thus causing heat build up in the A/C system and by doing so it reduces the cooling effect in the cab.

The factory condenser is too small to handle the heat load once things start to get hot and stay hot. Case in point, I ran a water hose over my condenser when the A/C system was hot and the high head pressure on the compressor went down, way down and the cab started to cool down very quickly. I have noticed that other off road equipment A/C systems has electric fans blowing on the condenser and also the condensers are much thicker. I'm going to buy a different condenser "thicker" one that will handle more heat load and see if that will help things. Keep in mind, my A/C works fine, but it could perform better and that's what I'm after.

How about adding an electric fan. Also you could put a sprayer on it to give you a boost as needed. Just some thoughts here. My Tubdra does not have an electric fan, but the SUV version does, probably to cool the extra passenger compartment volume.