A/C in the summer - does yours work?

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #1  

jc7622

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana 5740C
500 hours 5740C - My A/C really doesn't keep the cab cool in the summer time. I'm running it now with the doors off just to keep it bearable. My question is: Do any of you guys who live in hot climates have an A/C that actually keeps the cab cool in the heat of summer? Just curious to know if it's possible or if its one of those things that ain't going to happen.

Maybe my A/C needs to be re-charged. Right after I bought it a few years ago a fitting broke on the A/C compressor and the local dealer (who wasn't really a real tractor dealer and who quickly went out of business) repaired it and it never was really right after that. If you say that it will keep cool in summer then maybe I just need to get it re-charged.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #2  
AC from cars to tractors are the same; have the recharge done and i bet it will help

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #3  
My 4340C works well. The only time I experience any non cooling problems is when the radiator and the a/c fins get dirty ... I blow them out with air and all works again.

Its not as cool as my Branson cab ... I also installed on of those 12volt fans from wal-mart in the Montana cab to help.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #4  
My neighbours NH will freeze your toenails off in the middle of the summer.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #5  
I took off all my cab windows and tinted them with a high quality 5% window tint. Now you can hang meat in the cab with you. The tint made a huge dirrerance in the cooling of the cab.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #6  
I took off all my cab windows and tinted them with a high quality 5% window tint. Now you can hang meat in the cab with you. The tint made a huge dirrerance in the cooling of the cab.

I have got to do that.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #7  
500 hours 5740C - My A/C really doesn't keep the cab cool in the summer time. I'm running it now with the doors off just to keep it bearable. My question is: Do any of you guys who live in hot climates have an A/C that actually keeps the cab cool in the heat of summer? Just curious to know if it's possible or if its one of those things that ain't going to happen.

Maybe my A/C needs to be re-charged. Right after I bought it a few years ago a fitting broke on the A/C compressor and the local dealer (who wasn't really a real tractor dealer and who quickly went out of business) repaired it and it never was really right after that. If you say that it will keep cool in summer then maybe I just need to get it re-charged.

AC from cars to tractors are the same; have the recharge done and i bet it will help
Agreed! I bet the "local dealer" never did a proper recharge. He might not have even done a full evacuation of the system before he recharged it, something which jc7622 might want to mention to whomever he chooses to recharge the system.

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #8  
If the condenser even partially plugs, the discharge (high side) pressure will rise, thus dropping the the ability of the system to cool. Keeping the condenser and radiator behind, as clean as possible will lower the pressure to more normal levels, with more cooling. This is very true in hotter climates, because you are already fighting higher pressures due to warmer temps. outside. Keeping the evaporater clean in the cab is important, because this reduces air flow, thus changing the low pressure. If all else fails, have an experience tractor air conditioning tech. service the system. Remember, the cab temp is only ment to be around 15- 20 degrees cooler than the outside temp. If you have 134A in the system, it runs warmer than the old R12 did because, they removed the chlorine which worked the best in construction equipment. trac

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #9  
Agreed! I bet the "local dealer" never did a proper recharge. He might not have even done a full evacuation of the system before he recharged it, something which jc7622 might want to mention to whomever he chooses to recharge the system.

Most tractor manufactures evacuate the systems at the factory. If the system didn't have a vacumn when the dealer got to it, it already had a problem. This is what I have found over the years. trac

/ A/C in the summer - does yours work? #10  
I have been in 4 different cab tractors. When the A/C is working properly, all of them will get cold enough to run you out in 95-100 degree temps. Usually, I have to keep the fan on low to keep the cab from getting too cold. This is in Mississippi heat and humidity. If your cab a/c doesn't keep you comfortable, something is wrong.