Running Hot

/ Running Hot #1  

jc7622

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana 5740C
500 hours 5740C - My tractor runs on the hot side. Occasionally I will try to wash out the radiator fins with a hose and that seems to work for a while but it quickly heats back up. It runs hot even when the fins seem to be clear. Do all of these tractors run hot? Is there something that I'm missing?

/ Running Hot #2  
That may also be the reason your a/c is not that cool ... I would start out with a major cleaning of the radiator and the a/c fins. May have to remove a few bolts and get between them real well.

/ Running Hot #3  
It depends what you are doing with the tractor. Bushhogging high weedy grass will fill the radiator quickly. Also, dusty conditions. I have some customers that put window screen on front of their grills to keep from entering the radiator when they are in these extremes.. They clean it off alot and say that works for them. You will have to remove the battery and clean the radiator . Then when you think you have it clean, clean it again. Take a light after it is dry and look through it. Still, the light will not show through certain areas. I have a history with these tractors since 1998. They have always have this problem in certain types of going. I don't think manufactures put big enough radiators in tractors today. All manufactures have this problem in certain conditions. trac

/ Running Hot #4  
went through this with our 5740C. Dealer told us the rad was plugged with debris and they had to pull stuff to get it cleaned out. I am much more careful now with blowing it out daily. It will still occasionally run the temp up when working hard bush hogging or tilling. I agree with Trac's comments. FWIW.

Brent

/ Running Hot #5  
I have a 2005 5740C and although it always ran warm, it never really ran hot until last year. I have cleaned/blown out the rad and protector screen before each use, but last year something changed. That wasn't enough anymore apparently and it continually ran hot. I have been putting in water and antifreeze this year before each use in hot weather, so I'm thinking my running hot problem may just be a stuck thermostat or a hose leak somewhere. I'm going to get into mine and find out pretty soon here because it's really hot and dry right now in Texas and I have to mow my pastures here pretty soon too. I'll let you know what I find.

/ Running Hot #6  
With all this running warm and overheating issues made me think of something else that should be checked. Their are plastic fans on all these tractors today. Check the condition of the blades for cracks and signs of wear. This is true when the tractor gets a few years on it, but I have seen tractors as new as 2 years old having a cracked blade. With the price of radiators the way they are, it might be worth a few minutes of your time.

/ Running Hot #7  
With all this running warm and overheating issues made me think of something else that should be checked. Their are plastic fans on all these tractors today. Check the condition of the blades for cracks and signs of wear. This is true when the tractor gets a few years on it, but I have seen tractors as new as 2 years old having a cracked blade. With the price of radiators the way they are, it might be worth a few minutes of your time.

make sure the radiator and the A/C condenser are clean, make sure there is adequate coolant in the rad, makes sure the water a pump belt is tight, make sure the lower hose is not collapsing at high rpm, make sure the thermostat is the correct temperature range and is working, make sure the rad cap is the correct pressure and is working and make sure the air filter is clean and not plugged; aclogged air filter will cause a diesel to run hot because th F/A ratio is increased.