Good and bad

/ Good and bad #1  

wampum

Silver Member
Well I have owned my Montana U4984 for about a year and a half. I really love this tractor,it is as good or better then I expected. It was light in the back,so I had the tires filled with beet juice and now it is no longer light and handles great.It is smooth,and a joy to operate. I got a fantastic deal and I am glad I bought it.

Now the bad.I was plowing snow last Feb. when I noticed anti-freeze leaking on the snow.I loaded it on the trailer and took it to my dealer. He said that once he got the loader frame off,he was pretty sure that it would be a soft plug.It was not a plug but a hair line crack in the block about 3 inches long and growing.This guy has been in business for years,he said this was the first Mitsi he ever saw do this. I guess I am just lucky. I got the tractor back Saturday,4 months later. I am so glad I still had my old International 454 to pick up the slack.
They replaced the engine with a short block(brand new). The problem was getting all the new seals and gaskets.Around the first of the year this dealer started to switch to LS tractors.The exact same tractor made by LS is the U5020.He had a lot of problems getting anything from Montana.He got all of the parts from LS and backed the warranty out of his own pocket.I understand he is trying to get paid through Montana,I wish him luck.

I do believe that there is going to be more and more problems with Montana when it comes to warranty issues.I have pretty much decided that I am going to trade for a new LS U5020C. We will wait to see how good of a deal can be made. If it is to much I will simply keep my Montana. I only have about a year left on the warranty,and I know that after that all mechanical parts can be purchased through LS.I really am not at this time expecting my warranty that is left to mean much.

My dealer to me is a good guy and gives good service. I was patient with him and he treated me very well.I was just glad to get the repairs.Perhaps there is more to it then I know. Ma-be his switching to LS created a problem for him with Montana. This is speculation on my part. Other Montana dealers may be able to still get warranty parts,and get good service from Montana. My personal opinion is that Montana tractors are in bad shape,but I do not know that for sure.I thought I would share this,this was the experience I have just gone through.
If you buy a new Montana I wish you well,but I do feel in my opinion that in the future a lot of LS parts are going to be put on Montana's.

/ Good and bad #2  
I have been waiting for a side cab window for my 4940C for over a year now. I just got a call last week and was told my window is on its way over here to the USA now and I should have it soon, well see. I'm also thinking about trading in or selling my Montana for a new LS cab tractor.

/ Good and bad #3  
Keep your Montana's. Just by your parts from an L.S. dealer. Have had no problem getting parts in my area. No dealer near by, most are willing to ship to you. L.S. dealers are eager to help.

/ Good and bad #4  
Yes, the dealer I have my window on order with has been a big help and their a LS dealer. The biggest problem has been the factory.