3pth lifts by itself?

/ 3pth lifts by itself? #1  

uphere

Silver Member
Ok - I've seen 3pth lower by themselves - but what would make them raise by themselves? I have a Howse 5ft bushhog on the back of a 2740 and if I have it raised half way it will (at idle) every 4 minutes raise itself slightly? If I have it raised all the way it is of course fine.

/ 3pth lifts by itself? #2  
It is leaking down, and the position control tries to raise it back..

James K0UA

/ 3pth lifts by itself?
That's what I wondered - but there is no leak ... I have been checking it for the last two months since it started doing this but the hydraulic fluid level is at the same level as it has been for the last year.

/ 3pth lifts by itself? #5  
The leak is internal, not out onto the ground, so the fluid is always still in the tank. I had an old Long 2360 that did it, after a few years.

James K0UA

/ 3pth lifts by itself?
Is this something "fixable" (if so, are we talking big $$$) - or is it something that I just live with?

/ 3pth lifts by itself? #7  
This is most likley a worn set of O ring seals on the hydraulic piston, or a worn safety or control valve or at least that's the wat it was on older tractor hydraulic's. If it is only doing this every 4 minutes I wouldn't worry about it. My old jubilee did this and it looked like a jack in the box like every few seconds, I rebuilt it and the O rings on the piston were missing a piece of rubber. This tractor did that for years, but I knew nothing about hydraulics at the time so I just lived with it. This was an easy fix for one because I did it myself so it was cheep finding the parts was harder but not imposible. On the newer tractors lots of lets say stuff has to be removed making it an expensive project if someone else does it because they charge by the hour. Its not that hard if you get a service manual and have good mechanical sense, that's if you can get a service manual. But like I said I wouldn't worry about it at this point it's more of a nucience that anything else its probably just blow by on the piston. That's just my take on it others may think it needs to be corrected, not sure just how others would feel I only know what I have experienced in the past heck they could make them totally different now! Lets see what others say.

/ 3pth lifts by itself? #8  
My old Oliver 550 did it for 20 years and I never worried about it. I sold the tractor that way and it is still in service 6 years later. I agree it is just bypass at the cylinder or the valve and is more of a pain in the *** than a problem. It never failed to hold up an implement or anything serious. I know a newer tractor should not be doing this already but some of the smaller things like seals might not be as good as they should have been! My opinion only......lol.

/ 3pth lifts by itself?
Thanks lads (guesseral & jimmy) ... I can live with it - it just caught me a bit off guard .. in fact I had finishing hogging for the day, had put a beer down on the bush-hog (and before the tractor police come at me no it was stopped and the tractor was off :) ... and before you know it the bush-hog jumped up a very tiny bit but just enough to spill my beer. Now there are some things I can take - but that it not acceptable!! :)

/ 3pth lifts by itself? #10  
Thanks lads (guesseral & jimmy) ... I can live with it - it just caught me a bit off guard .. in fact I had finishing hogging for the day, had put a beer down on the bush-hog (and before the tractor police come at me no it was stopped and the tractor was off :) ... and before you know it the bush-hog jumped up a very tiny bit but just enough to spill my beer. Now there are some things I can take - but that it not acceptable!! :)

I can't imagine how the position control could attempt to raise the 3pt with the tractor off. Can anybody enlighten me?

xtn